𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"Lorelei, Lorelei, Lorelei," the same voices that I had heard in another vision chanted.

I thought I was asleep, but I felt very much awake. My body felt phantom, and that was my only solace to know I was dreaming, but my dreams had never felt quite this vivid before.

Wake up, I thought to myself. Surely if I knew this wasn't real, I could control my being here?

But nothing in me would let me leave. I felt surrounded by an energy, one all so familiar, that I knew it was the Force. I had never been in a place that had the Force so purely flowing.

My surroundings were completely dark, devoid of any light, but I wasn't scared.

Out of the corners of my eyes, I could see flashes of creatures whisking by me, but every time that I turned to follow them, there was no one. It seemed as though I was alone, but I wasn't. I could feel the presence of others, but I couldn't pinpoint neither who nor what they were.

"Where am I? Who are you?" I called out, feeling desperate for a reply.

"You are in a safe haven, a place you do not yet understand," one of the voices replied.

"What does that mean? I don't even know who you are," I echoed.

"Reach out, young one, for your answers lie within," they responded. "You cannot see me, but you will know what I am."

Frustration rolled over me, but I decided to let my guard down for just a moment. It's only a dream, so maybe I can find the answers that I am looking for.

I closed my phantom eyes, willing the Force to flow steadily around me. The voice that just called to me became a visual. I did not see neither a face nor a body, but it was almost like I understood exactly what I was seeing.

"Ephemeral," I answered. "Light indigo, almost, with a hint of light, but not quite white."

"Correct. See, you must trust yourself before you are to understand your destiny, and who you really are. What lies within is what we block out most," the Ephemeral replied.

"Do I not think that I am who I truly am?" I question, nervous for their answer. "Am I on the wrong path?"

They let out a noise, almost a laugh, but it wasn't quite that, and I couldn't pinpoint it.

"The paths you will take in life have nothing to do with your innermost reality. But like most, you will never truly understand who you are unless you let yourself."

I was perplexed. Their words did not make sense to me. How do I let myself do something if I do not understand what it is?

I wanted to ask more questions, but I could feel the presence of the Ephemeral gone. It was like I was alone again, but not quite, for I could see the same movements around me. Again, when I tried to follow them, there was no one there to follow, but I wasn't truly alone.

I figured I did not have the capacity to understand the beings I was surrounded by. Though this time, I did not bid myself to wake up. I longed for answers. Every time I thought I was getting somewhere, I was somehow left more confused than when I started.

This frustrated me.

"Hello?" I yelled tentatively, still intimidated by the beings, but not afraid. I couldn't put my finger on my feelings. It was almost like I was devoid of emotions, yet feeling them all at the same time.

When no one answered, I decided to venture. Where, I did not know, because I was in a sort of void, an endless stream of nothingness, yet I felt something within me drawing me to this place.

It felt like nothing, but it wasn't nothing. It was something, and it was something I had no knowledge about, which drew me to wanting answers tenfold more.

The more I moved around, I felt myself become lighter. I still had my body intact- not that I could see it- but I could feel it. My legs were my own, my body moved, but I couldn't run. I was stuck on an endless track of the same speed.

I knew I was on some sort of pathway. Nothing but my intuition told me that.

Suddenly, as my body became lighter and lighter, I couldn't move anymore. I wasn't frozen in place by anyone or anything, my body was just too light to even move.

Bemused, I tried to look around to see if anyone else was there to talk to me, to give me answers.

"I know I'm not alone, but no one will help me," I cried out. "I need to know, I must know."

"You will," the voices echoed, meshing together almost melodically.

"Why won't anyone tell me what's going on?" I tried again.

The voices hushed, and different ones spoke out to me all at once.

"You do not have the capability for that."

"Yet."

"In due time."

"It is a process."

"We are everything."

"Yet we are nothing."

"We can have control."

"Yet we have none at all."

"The world revolves around us."

"Yet they do not know us."

"We are inside of you, we come from you."

"But you will not let yourself know us."

I put my hands over my ears, willing them to stop. I was so overwhelmed- my once light body became heavy- and I began slipping down, but my arms were too heavy to hold me up. So I sank, into the ground, until I was in true nothingness.

I awoke screaming, and I had to throw my hand over my mouth to muffle it, confused how I could not scream in my dream, yet here I was, screaming. I longed to talk to Master Yoda about it- maybe he would have some answers- but I am half convinced he would think I am going insane.

What in the blazes is going on?

author's note:

okay so I KNOW this might seem like a filler chapter, but i promise you it's not. it's really important for developing the entire plot of this book. if you see chapters like this, pls pay attention, it will all make sense later! that's all i'm really going to say because i don't want to give too much away, but DAMN am i proud of myself for this idea.

also, i woke up to votes and COMMENTS on my book and it literally made me so happy! i had like 1-2 readers on this for so long that having like 10 engaged readers is SO exciting for me!! ik the book has like 250 reads but wattpad has the engaged readers feature which i looove so thank you to everyone who had been supporting this! i promise i won't let you down!

to my new readers, welcome and i love you! i try to update every day, but sometimes it's every other day, and sometimes it's two chapters a day, so bear with me!

xoxo,
lexi