𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

The sound of Master Yoda's staff hitting the floor pulled me back to reality. This Sith that I was fighting was not one I had ever heard of before, yet there was a sense of familiarity that troubled me.

"Completed phase one of the trials, Padawan Bache has," he announced.

I nodded, feeling a surge of excitement wave over me. I was mindful not to get too ahead of myself, as this was only phase one, but I had already overcome difficult challenges presented to me.

"The second phase of the trials is the Trial of Courage," Master Windu said.

"Courage is a vital part of being a Jedi, even to those who do not specialize in combat," Master Allie explained. "Much like the third part of the Trial of Skill, it is unique to every Padawan who engages in these trials, so do not rely on legends to complete this step."

I soaked their words in, trying to gain as much knowledge about this phase as I could before I had to begin.

"Please take your position in the middle of the chamber," she continued. "Be mindful of your surroundings, and through courage, you will prevail."

As I found my place in the center, the lights flickered, and all went dark. I focused my breathing and reached out with the Force, letting this simple moment ground me for what I was about to encounter.

Blaster fire ensued, and I swiftly ignited my sabers to block incoming shots. As I was once surrounded by darkness, I found myself now in a white hallway. A series of white assassin droids were manuvering towards me.

This must be a test simulated to my strengths, as these droids are precise with their aim, not to mention extremely agile, just as I. I spun and ducked, sending some shots flying into the oblivion of this strange place, and others directly into the droids attacking me.

They came at me in a speed I had not yet seen before, and the sheer number of them were already overwhelming me. While I knew that the Council was not trying to kill me, there was an element of danger in this phase, and I had to stay alert.

I counted nearly 20 racing towards me, testing my strength and stamina as I whipped around, countering their attacks whilst trying to gain the upper hand. I was able to take one of their heads off as it lunged at me, and send another backwards after a perfectly calculated deflection.

Still, I was overwhelmed, and even an experienced Knight would find difficulty in this situation. There was a reason that they had executed this particular simulation, though I would need something more to be able to outlast and overpower these droids.

I was fighting for myself, which seemed like a harsh juxtaposition to my duty as a Jedi, a keeper of the peace.

I remembered something that Master Secura had told me during the early days of my training, when I brought up this particular sentiment.

"There is a beautiful kind of courage in fighting for yourself."

This sudden revelation seemed to me exactly what I was being tested on. Yes, courage is innately in the name of this Trial, but there was something more profound to putting the pieces together.

Especially while I was defending myself against these assassin droids.

I realized, just as I had in the first stage of my trials, that I had to find an alternative route in overcoming this challenge.

Swinging my sabers for the last time, I placed my hands on the ground, and called the Force to me, more powerfully than I had done yet in the trials.

My mind wandered to the lessons of the Ephemeral, Saccharine and Abyssal that I had met in my visions, and I found that I had the courage to call a strength within myself that I had yet to discover.