1~ Another Day, Another Fight

My feet struck against the pavement as I ran. Each step was in sync with my heartbeat.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

I slowed to a stop as I heard some voices around the corner.

"Come on Ethan, just tell us what we want to know and we'll leave you alone," A voice sneered. Sam Mullins. Star football player. Oak Ridge High's resident asshole.

Ethan? God damn it this kid.

I peeked around the corner and to no surprise Ethan was trapped in the corner with a smirk on his face. I stayed hidden until something actually happened or I'd be the one in detention.

"Oh and I suppose you think a couple of punches will make me talk," He said. "No offense, bubs, but I've been through a lot worse."

That nickname angered Sam. That was Ethan's specialty. He knew how to get under someone's skin and royally piss them off.

Sam got one punch in before Ethan fought back hard. The other two guys, Tucker Hickman and Alex Kennedy, held Ethan back while Sam hit him repeatedly in the stomach.

I jumped in and grabbed Sam by the collar and pulled him off my brother. He reared his fist back to punch me.

"Your first punch better be good because it's the only one you're gonna get," I threatened in a low voice.

He swung and tried to hit me in the face, but I dodged it. I punched him in the stomach twice. I was pulled off by one of the boys. I snapped my elbow back and hit him in the nose.

I pinned Sam to the ground and punched him in the face.

"Hey!" I heard Coach Rowland call. I was pulled off of Sam and pushed in the other direction. "What is going on here?"

"We were just talking, Coach and Quincy came out of nowhere and started punching me," Sam defended.

"Likely story, Mullins," Coach said sarcastically. "Easton?"

"They held Ethan back while Sam punched him in the stomach. I jumped in to save my brother, Coach," I told him truthfully.

Coach nodded. "Mullins, Hickman, Kennedy, principal's office now. I'll meet you there. Quincy, take your brother to the nurse. Meet me in my office in twenty minutes."

I nodded. "Yes sir"

He walked off to the principal's office to meet Sam and his goons. Once he was out of hearing distance I turned to Ethan.

"What the hell is your problem, Ethan?" I yelled at him.

"You know how Sam is, East. He's a jackass."

"What did he want from you?" I pressed.

"He wanted me to spy on his girl and I found some things out and I wasn't about to let him know," he shrugged.

I smacked him on the back of the head. "That's for being a dumbass. You're lucky it was Mason who caught us or you'd be a deep shit right now."

Ethan insisted that he was fine and didn't need the nurse. I forced him to stay in the car when I went to talk to Mason. I didn't need him to be around for this lecture I was about to get.

Mason is the closest thing I've ever had to an actual father. He actually cares about me and I'm thankful for that.

"Coach, I'm sorry. You know how Ethan is. He's never out of trouble."

"Easton, you can't just go around fighting them. Use your head kid. One of these days someone else is gonna catch you and it'll be the end. No track, no school, no college."