6~ Need a Lesson in Apologizing

I walked into school late. I blamed it on the rain. This weekend wasn't near long enough. Weekends should be longer. It took a minute, but I walked into Ms. Wells's class. It wasn't at all like I expected. Everyone was talking, the room was loud, and things were being thrown across the room. It all made sense when I saw a substitute teacher sitting at Ms. Wells's desk.

I walked to my seat and sat down. The sub never even batted an eye at me. Ash was sitting quietly.

"Hey, Ash," I greeted like every other day.

She ignored me. I figured she didn't hear me, so I tapped her on the shoulder.

She looked up and glared at me before looking back down at her phone. What was her problem? I didn't do anything to her. I hadn't even talked to her since Friday. Maybe something happened at home.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Leave me alone, Easton," She snapped. I threw my hands up in defense.

"Okay" was all I said before I sat back in my chair and zoned out for the rest of class. I stared at the clock as it ticked down the seconds until the dreadful class was over. The bell rang and I got up out of my chair.

I was going to go to my normal class but something didn't sit right with me. I tried to talk to Ash again, but she blew past me.

"Ash, what's wrong with you? Are you okay?" I caught up with her and stopped her in the middle of the hall.

"What's wrong with me? You left me at the football game Friday. I know you didn't want to go, but you didn't have to be a dick about it." She snapped and tried to step around me. I grabbed her elbow and turned her towards me.

"It wasn't like that, Ash, I promise," I told her.

"Then what was it like? Because you ran off to the bathroom and never came back. Ethan came back looking for you and you were gone. I didn't know where you went. I was worried something bad happened to you. You scared the shit out of me Easton. And the worst part is you didn't call or text to tell me that you were okay." Her eyes glistened with tears.

I sighed. "I'm sorry, okay. Something came up and I had to leave. I didn't mean to scare you," I told her.

"Well, you did Easton." she snapped. I have never seen her so defensive before. She always had a smile and was happy.

"I said I'm sorry, I don't know what more you want from me," I said, my patience wearing thin. I wasn't very good at apologies.

"I-I have to go," she said and walked in the opposite direction of her class. I was half tempted to follow her and find out where she was going, but I decided against it.

I walked to my class. I wish I would've left right then, but something in me made me want to stay and I couldn't figure out why.

***

I went to lunch normally and Ashtyn wasn't sitting at our table, instead, she was sitting at another table. I felt something in my stomach, but I ignored it and figured I was just hungry.

"Why's Ash over there?" Ethan asked as he and Erin walked up and sat down like every other day. I shot him a glare across the table. "Geez sorry, touchy subject." Ethan puts his hands up in mock defense.

He began talking about something and I ignored him. I turned my head over to look at Ashtyn and her table again. It shouldn't bother me this much that Ash isn't talking to me, but it is, which bothers me even more. 

"Earth to Easton" Ethan's voice said loudly.

"What do you want, Asshole?" I snapped.

"I think you need to check for a little green monster on your back. Ashtyn has other friends, chill out. I was talking to you and you spaced out."