17~ Long Flights, Layovers, and Lies

"Ahh, Hawaii! Aren't you excited?" Ash squealed and threw her arms around me the first thing after I opened the door.

"We still have to get through security and then there's the plane ride to Phoenix, then there's the layover, and then the even longer plane ride to Hawaii," I said after I hugged her back.

She smacked my arm, "Stop being such a pessimist. We're going to Hawaii. You're supposed to be optimistic," she smiled.

"I've been to Hawaii a couple of times, there's not much that's new and exciting. I'm excited about the sun and the beach though, is that good enough for you?" I teased her and brought our suitcases out to the car.

She fake gasped. "Did Easton Quincy just admit he was excited about something?"

I fake laughed along with her. She helped me load the suitcases and Ethan helped Mason load his surfboard on top of the car. The kid was excited to surf with his own surfboard rather than rent one out for the week. Too bad he can only use it a couple of times a year.

"Okay gang, are we ready?" Mason asked from the driver's seat once everyone was in the car and ready to go.

Ash faced palmed herself. "Please never say that again," She laughed.

Twenty minutes later we pulled into the airport parking lot where Mason parked. We unloaded all of our suitcases. Ashtyn had the biggest smile on her face. I doubt she'd be this excited if she knew what was about to happen.

It took us twenty-five minutes to get through security. It took us another forty-five for bag check-in. It would've been less but Ethan's surfboard complicated things a little bit. We had at least another thirty minutes before our flight boards. We sat down close to our gate in the meantime.

Ash was still super excited though the smile on her face had diminished a little bit.

"We're gonna go get a drink really quick. You all have your tickets," Mason explained.

Ashtyn and I had seats right next to each other. Ethan, Mason, and Julie's seats were apart but still close together. I guess they wanted someone to be with Ash on her first plane ride or something. Otherwise, Mason and Julie would be sitting together.

"Do you guys need anything?" Julie asked.

We shook our heads. "No thanks, Julie," Ash smiled at her aunt.

Mason and Julie walked away hand in hand. Ash was on her phone typing away next to me. I assumed she was texting Ally. They pretty much never stop talking. Ethan was on the other side of me a couple of chairs down on his phone too. He was probably talking to Erin.

Ashtyn sighed. "I'm excited for Hawaii, but all of this is already making me want to take a nap. Mase got us up at the buttcrack of dawn to get everything ready in time. I swear it was five thirty when he woke us up." She laid her head against my shoulder.

"That sounds like Mason all right," I chuckled. "Don't worry you can nap on the plane for five hours."

She groaned. "Five hours?"

"And another six after that," I nodded. She groaned and banged her head against my shoulder.

"That sounds like hell. I've never been on a plane before, but six hours sitting down sounds terrible," She groaned.

I looked at her with surprise. "You've never been on a plane before?" I questioned.

She shook her head. "We always traveled by car pretty much everywhere we went. We never went far enough to need to be on an airplane. So I never got the chance to travel by airplane. I'm actually kind of nervous. I've heard some bad stories about them," she admitted.