3

Animo landed on a rather large pile of books, her backside thumping over the tomes painfully as she rolled to a halt at the end of Albus's desk.

The Hogwarts headmaster let out a slight chuckle, his twinkling eyes just visible over the top of his golden spectacles. Animo scowled and her gaze immediately caught on Albus's left hand. The flesh was darkened and shriveled, evident signs of a powerful curse. Despite Albus's consistent denial, Animo knew it pained him greatly.

Settling into the chair across from her oldest friend, Animo tried to hide the anger that flared in her stomach. He had been a fool to ever put on Marvolo's ring, but she would not attempt to lecture him again. She titled her neck briefly towards the small portrait of Ariana angled on the desk desk, so hidden beneath the other objects that only those who knew to look for it could have seen it. Instinctively, her hand went to her necklace. When Al had told her he had found the Resurrection Stone, Animo had understood exactly why he had put on the ring. The guilt of his sister's death would be one the old man would carry to his grave.

"And how does our favorite dark wizard fare?" Albus leaned forward, clasping his hands together in front of his beard. Animo had tried to advise him several times that waist length facial hair was not ideal, but the eccentric man wouldn't hear a word.

She raised a gentle eyebrow. "We both know that Voldemort is not favored by either of us."

There was a slight pause as the pair let the pain of Gellert's decisions linger over their shoulders. Animo sucked in a long breath as she remembered the terror of her arrival in this time. She had been but another young girl on the streets of London until Dumbledore had found her in Diagon Alley. She supposed the man's younger self did keep at least one of his promises. They had met again. But Animo had not seen Gellert since Albus had sent her hurtling into the future. After the headmaster had finally told her of their duel and her brother's subsequent imprisonment, Animo could not find the strength to face him and Albus had never pushed. It was for her safety that he had sent her away in the first place.

"Well," Albus shifted, adjusting the brim of his hat so that it sat even more crookedly on his forehead. His tone bore an all-knowing and business-like lilt that Animo had learned was a disguise for his true emotions. "I daresay Draco has been set on his path?"

Animo twirled her fingers, motioning towards Fawkes, who shuffled begrudgingly on his perch. Then the phoenix burst into the air in a brief flare of crimson before landing on her knee. A grin tilted Amino's lips as she ran her hand over Fawkes's head, his feathers soothing the terror of the last few hours. "Unfortunately. I still don't see why you can't confront him and—"

Albus raised his good hand, the golden rings about his knuckles glinting in the candlelight from the waxy stump in front of them. "All in good time, my dear."

"I'm not a child anymore, Albus," Animo scolded, leaning forward in frustration and losing her typically mild voice. Fawkes ruffled his wings in indignation at her outburst and Animo softened, sending the bird an apologetic look. However, the phoenix did not seem at all mollified and simply gave her a beady-eyed stare in response.

Animo looked up to see Albus's features soften in thought as he tilted his body towards the window behind them. The starlight glinted off his spectacles, making the reflection of their golden hue dance on the stone wall behind. "You'll have to forgive me. Old habits are hard to divert."

Softening her shoulders, Animo buried her head into her hands, wincing slightly at the sticky feel of her lipstick. "Albus, if you confront Draco now, you will save us a world of pain."

"Ah, but it will not change my fate, will it?" Albus quirked a thin brow while he pushed himself away from his desk with a sigh. "Besides, I will not repeat my mistake of ignoring the few choices I have in my grasp." He strolled over towards the window, not paying attention to the glass as it melted away and exposed them to the warm night air beyond. Both hands were clasped behind his back in what Animo know was typical Albus fashion. "Not again."