23

"Yep, thanks, Annie."

Alphard's sarcastic voice interrupted Animo's thoughts as she turned away from the center of the Slytherin table and towards her friend, who was currently stabbing at his bowl of mashed potatoes whilst eyeing her with a sour expression.

"Sorry," she tried to muffle her irritation at Alphard's impatience. It wasn't right to take her anger out on the boy. Now, Tom... she tilted her neck once more to observe the charismatic Head Boy. He was currently ignoring Abraxas' and Rosier's debate, which was likely intent on degrading some muggleborn. "What were you saying?"

"No," Alphard shook his head, the tips of his long bangs falling into his glare and taking away much of his ferocity. "Until you stop drooling over Riddle, I'm not bothering."

Flushing, Animo scooped a spoonful of chowder into her mouth, instantly regretting the decision as the roof of her mouth throbbed. "I am not drooling." She twirled the handle of her spoon between her fingers, watching the chunks of potato bob. "Tom and I got into an argument is all."

Silence greeted her answer and Animo glanced up to see Avril and Alphard staring at her with dumbfounded expressions, their gazes wide.

Alphard stuck an ink-stained hand in her face before waving it in front of her eyes. "Have you been feeling odd of late? Slightly mental? Possibly scarred?"

Animo pushed his fingers away with an amused scowl, Avril shaking her head at their antics. "No!"

"Annie."

Animo tried not to feel too flattered at Alphard's use of her first name. It had taken months, but the boy had seemed to warm to her. It probably helped that his sisters both hated her, as Alphard had grown to be a bit of a rebel.

"There are many unsaid rules in this castle," Alphard straightened and cleared his throat, attempting an impersonation of Headmaster Dippet. "But the most important is to NEVER, under ANY circumstance provoke even the slightest conversation with Tom Riddle."

Laughter shook Animo's shoulders as she pushed away her bowl of chowder, settling for a soft bread roll and buttering it generously. "I'm not afraid of him."

"You should be." Avril interrupted their mirth as her solemn gaze flickered towards Rabier Lestrange, who was currently flirting with Lucretia. "He's the ringleader."

Alphard hummed in agreement with his brow furrowed. "You know many of my cousins are involved in his schemes." He swallowed his mouthful of potato, looking rather unappeased. "They come back from 'meetings' of Riddle's with all sorts of limps and bruises. And there was Myrtle—"

Avril shot the boy a warning glare and Alphard clamped his lips together.

"Myrtle?" Animo shifted forward, trying not to appear too eager. "The girl who died? From the monster?"

Ignoring Avril's flick against his wrist, Alphard titled his head closer, casting a fearful look towards the center of the table. "I'm not the only one who thinks it's a bit suspicious that Tom 'miraculously' discovered the killer." The boy's nose wrinkled, "Rubeus Hagrid? The halfbreed's a moron, but there's no way he would have touched Myrtle."

Processing the boy's doubt, Animo wasn't sure what to think as she settled back against the bench. "How many people do you think feel the same way?"

"Everyone?" Alphard's tone was incredulous as he shot a last glance towards the rest of his family. "Heard Abraxas muttering about it last year and he eats out of Riddle's palm."

A large clang interrupted them as Avril knocked her plate over with her elbow, sending it clattering to the floor. "Sorry," she chirped to the pair of fourth years across from them, who looked extremely irritated at the interruption. Turning back to Alphard and Animo, she sent them a burning glare. "And we'll all be the next victims if you two continue being so reckless."