35

"What does Dobby do with this, Miss Ani?"

Animo turned around and barely managed to stifle a laugh. The enthusiastic elf had a woolen stocking pulled up over one leg, nearly enveloping his small torso. "That's to hang up on the mantle!" Animo gestured towards the fireplace, which she had recently put out. The sight of emerald flames only served to remind her of the Slytherin Common Room, which then incited thoughts of Tom. And those she was determined to avoid entirely.

Humming a Christmas tune under her breath, Animo faced the enormous pine tree in the corner. The number of branches bursting from the staggering trunk would perhaps put Hagrid's finest pines to shame. She twirled her wand, summoning a row of golden stars to drape themselves on the outermost needles.

"Looks like Hogwarts."

Animo jumped, nearly tripping over the sofa behind her at Abraxas's dry statement. Shaking her head in admonishment, Animo raised a brow as she observed the blonde, who was donning his usual white dress shirt. "That was my intention." She gestured down to his ironed slacks. "Merlin, Malfoy. Do you even know how to celebrate?"

"Christmas is for fools." Abraxas sent her a scathing glare, a hint of scorn in his tone. It was the first reference he had made to walking in on Tom and Animo. "Like yourself."

Trying to appear unbothered, Animo pulled out an ornament spun together of silver thread and holly. Tom was once again absent, having been scouring London for whatever mission he was currently endeavoring. "Can I invite Alphard and Avril?" She sent Abraxas a hopeful look.

"Like I need another lovesick idiot in the house," Abraxas grimaced, although he tapped his wand, sending a few snowflakes swirling around the tree. The ice refused to melt, circling merrily through the air. "How Black made it into Slytherin, I can only guess."

"Isn't that family tradition?" Animo looked up curiously, settling against the sofa with her mug of cider. "Thought if you were sorted anywhere else you would be disowned."

Giving Dobby a shake of disapproval, Abraxas strolled over to the mantle and began to clip the stockings onto the bronze wire Animo had found in the bottom of the cabinet. Still, his exchange with Dobby was rather gentle and the house elf handed the boy clothespins happily. "One or two of my family were Ravenclaws. But it was a topic best not brought up at the dinner table. The hat lets you choose after all." Abraxas stepped back, admiring his handiwork. "If you're not in Slytherin, you may as well paint 'bloodtraitor' on your forehead."

"So, the hat really lets you decide?" Animo furrowed her brow, one of her childhood suspicions coming into question. "Do you think houses are a bad idea? That they determine a child's fate?" Toying with the rim of her mug, she ran her finger along the edge of the porcelain. "Perhaps Hogwarts would be more united without the sorting."

Abraxas appeared immensely scandalized. "Now what would be the point of school? Cursing the Gryffindors is the only thing that gets me through the dratted year."

"That's exactly my point!" Animo cried, her lips quirking up in amusement. "What if you were simply a student?"

Taking a long look at the living room, which was bright with the light of the morning sun, Abraxas's gaze darkened as it fell on the Malfoy family portrait above the mantel. His father glared down at them sternly, his forehead lined with wrinkles that spoke of decades of rage. "Everyone's born with labels, Wallace."

There was a slight clang as Dobby knocked over the fire poker standing in the corner, sending them an apologetic look.

"Have you ever had a proper Christmas?" Animo changed the subject, sensing that there was little to be said that would help Abraxas. She couldn't seem to find the right words anyways.