12

"You're looking better?" Alphard stared at Avril, still chewing a bit of ham. His brown gaze widened slightly in realization. "No raccoon circles," he gestured underneath his eyes with a hand that was smeared with honey glaze.

Animo and Avril shared a revolted glance before the fourth year tossed her hair over her shoulder, placing a grape in her mouth. "Only took you this long to notice, Black. Some friend you are."

Alphard looked rather panicked at Avril's cold tone. "I didn't—I mean it's normal for you and," he saw the teasing twitch to Avril's lips and his forehead creased into a scowl. "You're such a—"

"I better get heading to the library," Animo interrupted, certain that she would rather not hear another volley of insults between the pair. Whatever was said about Slytherin, the house was definitely the expert of comebacks. "I've got two rolls of parchment for Defense."

Alphard winced, scooting slightly away from Avril as if to let her know he was still displeased. "Merrythought's been a prat this term. I've already got a hundred lines on the history of veelas. Veelas!" the Slytherin speared a bit of potato moodily. "I'll just get Walburga to do it for me." At Animo and Avril's confused expressions, he elaborated with a hint of embarrassment. "She says veela blood has been in our family for centuries."

Animo's shoulders shook with silent laughter at Avril's disgusted expression.

"And you believed her?"

"Well look at me," Alphard puffed out his chest, "the epitome of beauty, Zabini."

Avril rolled her amber eyes. "Maybe if we were comparing trolls."

Chuckling, Animo strolled away from the table with her defense book tucked beneath her arm. If those two didn't end up married, she would be shocked. In fact, it was one of the many things that she regretted not looking up before using the Time Turner. She snuck a final glance at Avril, who was busy dodging a bit of toast Alphard had flung at her. The Dreamless Sleep potion seemed to be helping, with much of the color returning to the girl's face.

Taking the staircase two steps at a time, Animo paused and leaned against the railing, deciding to enjoy the ride as it swung forward and nearly threw her off balance. Below, Cilla and Celene bickered over some sort of wizard magazine, their identical dark heads tilted towards each other passionately. Animo swore the only time Celene smiled was when her sister was around. To her right, Yara Winley and Todd Upton, a pair of Ravenclaw fifth years, snogged with fervor. Animo winced. The only reason she even knew their names was for the frequency professors yelled at them in the halls. Whyever someone would want to display such public affection, Animo would never understand.

As the staircase swung to a halt, Animo trotted up to the library, relaxing as the aroma of old parchment and ink swirled around her once more. The book shelves had become Animo's favourite refuge, a place where she didn't quite feel so alone. Her gaze fell upon a trio of bickering Gryffindors. Her fascination with people probably stemmed from all the years she had spent by herself, but Animo couldn't yet break the habit of eavesdropping. Avril had been right, she really was terrible.

"Tom Riddle is NOT attractive," a red-headed boy winced as the blonde next to him slapped his arm with a rolled up Daily Prophet.

"Just because you don't have eyes, doesn't mean we all don't, Prewett," the girl flushed, sneaking a glance to the right.

Animo followed her gaze towards the back of the study tables and she had to refrain from rolling her eyes. Of course, Tom would choose to sit in the very back, shadowed by the shelves around him. Adjusting the weight of her book on her hip, she pursed her lips. Better now than never.