37

"Annie," Avril nudged her side softly, making Animo jump from her stupor. The Room of Requirement was strangely silent with the absence of the Gryffindors, who were eager to spend the last week of the holidays with their family. Animo, Avril, and Alphard had all arrived on the first train back to Hogwarts. She hadn't seen much of Tom, but Abraxas had made her leave before his father returned to the manor.

There was a loud bang as Alphard tossed one of the ceramic bowls full of Bertie Bott's Beans into the wall, shattering the pottery. "This spell is a waste of time." His cheeks were a bright pink and his chest heaved with repressed anger. He had been particularly sensitive ever since returning from home. Animo gathered that the Black Manor hadn't been pleasant.

Animo and Avril exchanged a worried look. She had specifically left the Patronus Charm until after the holidays, before Lyall and the others were involved. Casting the charm required a deep vulnerability that the Slytherins were wary to expose. "Al," Animo stepped forward hesitantly and placed a hand on his shoulder. "This is incredibly complex—"

"Oh, shove off." Alphard narrowed his gaze as he jerked away from her touch, his eyes burning with a hidden sort of shame. "You've probably been able to do it since the day you were born."

"Actually, I haven't." Animo lowered herself slowly onto one of the upholstered sofas, curling her fingers into the soft cushion. "I still have difficulties conjuring it properly." A slight grimace ruefully twisted the edge of her lips. "I don't think there's any better test of your soul. The Patronus takes full conviction. It's the strongest form of light magic," she recalled Albus's words from one of her more violent outbursts.

The seat beside her sank as Avril lowered herself down beside Alphard, her amber eyes shadowed. "And that's why it's so hard for Slytherins. We lack faith, especially in ourselves." She twirled her fingertips in the air, managing a puff of shimmering light.

The trio sat in silence, watching as the air faded back into darkness.

"What if I'm never able to do it?"

Alphard's question was muffled, as if he was trying to cover up the strangled sound in his throat. There was no questioning the silent plea in his voice, seeking some reassurance that he would not go down the same path as the rest of his family.

"I wonder that too. Sometimes I can manage a bit of a form and sometimes I feel nothing at all." Animo reached over for his hand, staring at the lamp in front of them. The velvet shade was held aloft by a wooden owl, which flapped its wings every so often, making the light flicker.

Puffing at one of her braids that hung in front of her eyes, Avril made the strand swing back. "I have to think we have a choice, right?" her amber gaze welled with emotion. "I can't live like this forever."

There was a soft thud as Alphard leaned against the table beside her, intertwining his hand with hers. Animo looked away from the tender glance between them, feeling as though she were intruding on a private moment.

"I just don't know." Animo sighed, resting her head into her palms with a sense of loss that she couldn't quite place. "Maybe this is forever."

Having not realized the weight of the words she spoke until they had already left her mouth, Animo winced as Alphard shot her a reproachful glare. A silent tear streaked down the dark skin of Avril's cheek, a gleaming path in the light of the lamp.

"And yet you continue to clamber after Riddle?" the Slytherin retorted, his dark eyes flashing with distaste. "You think a monster like that can change, yet there's no hope for the rest of us?"

"I just—"

Ignoring Animo's stammering, Alphard plowed on ahead, clearly revealing thoughts that he had been aching to let loose. "I'm sick of all your pitiful glances and the way you come back from Merlin knows where looking like you haven't slept in weeks! That git has hurt us both," he gestured between Avril and himself, "and yet you don't seem to give lick about that."