18

Animo slunk to the darkest corners of the corridor, keeping her head ducked low in hopes of avoiding any unwanted attention. Over the last few days, the snide comments that dogged at her heels had faded, albeit slowly. Walburga and Lucretia were certainly none too eager to let Animo forget about the loss of House points. Thus, she had made sure to steer away from the Slytherin common room, also evading Rabier Lestrange. It had resulted in less time with Tom, but Animo was rather relieved. Breaking the boy of his thirst for glory seemed increasingly impossible.

"Annie."

Freezing at the hissed voice, Animo whipped her head around, regretting her position by the vacant Herbology greenhouses. Outside of a few odd Hufflepuffs, none of the students enjoyed being around the plethora of plants. The sun was beginning to set below the craggy mountainside, leaving nothing but a scattering of shadows.

Suddenly, one of the glass doors swung open of its own according, crashing into the wall behind it with a bang. Animo jumped backwards, clutching her book tighter to her chest. "Peeves, if—"

"Merlin's bloody pants, Wallis," a heart-shaped face peered around an extremely large potted vine, the leaves waving eagerly of its own accord. "Get in here."

"Avril?" Animo didn't waste a second before diving into the greenhouse after her friend, making sure to cast the Muffilato charm behind her. Considering the Slytherin had been avoiding her for days, Animo doubted Avril wished to be eavesdropped upon.

"Smart," Avril worried her lip with the edge of her teeth as she reached over to stroke the plant, the leaves curling up in a delight that reminded Animo unnervingly of a cat. "Saw a pair of Gryffindors camping out here this morning. This is one of the more opportune places for snogging."

Swallowing, Animo set her book down gently, trying to mimic her casual tone. "That and the Prefect's bathroom." She wriggled her eyebrows. "If you're going to be a bit more daring."

"Please," Avril stuck out her tongue, her amber eyes lighting slightly with disgust. Still, the uneasiness was evident in her posture as she leaned against one of the side tables. "Abraxas brags about his 'conquests' there every other weekend."

A slight breeze crept through one of the propped windows, making both of the girls shiver. Animo lifted up her head, scanning the dark clouds through the glass. "It seems that it's going to snow. A blizzard, I reckon."

"Listen," Avril blurted, twisting a bit of hair, which today hung in a wave of braids down to her waist. "I'm sorry about avoiding you." She paused, rubbing the edge of her heel against the ceramic pot, which flashed a deep blue. "Damn. Needs water."

Watching in interest, Animo raised a brow as the girl bent down, waving her wand and muttering a quick "aguamenti!" Instantly, the spiky bush lifted from its hunched position, twirling with a sort of glee.

"Avril, have you been holding out on me?" Animo turned to give her friend a teasing grin. "Master herbologist in disguise?"

The edges of Avril's lips twitched, but her gaze remained serious while she ran her fingers over the bark, checking its texture. Or rather that's what Animo supposed she was. Plants had never been her forte.

"Rabier and I.." the girl's throat bobbed and she plucked a yellowing leaf protruding from a nearby asphodel bush. "We don't have a good history."

Settling down on the edge of one of the workbenches, Animo made sure to steer away from a rather unpleasant looking cactus. She waited in silence patiently. It seemed that Avril was like a tentative cat. Push her too far, and she would scurry away. And it wasn't as though Animo hadn't had years of practice of waiting.