27

"No." Avril pursed her nude tinted lips in disapproval as she observed Animo's attire. "That's something my grandmother would wear. And believe me," she raised a darkened brow. "Not a compliment."

Tugging at her high collar, Animo gave her reflection a sigh. The black cotton dress seemed more like funeral wear than anything remotely fit for a party. But it was the only thing she had been able to beg from the Room of Requirement. Apparently, specular formal attire wasn't part of its magical provisions.

Avril waved her wand at Animo's map, brightening the dark room. "Stand back," she scanned Animo's form critically, "and close your eyes."

Obeying, Animo shifted her stance hesitantly, outstretching her arms. The air chilled her bare arms as Avril muttered a series of fabric adjustment charms, shorting her sleeves significantly. Or perhaps she had removed them altogether. Animo cracked open an eye to check.

"Don't!" Avril snapped immediately, observant as always. "I'm your fairy mother, or whatever the muggles call it."

The image of Avril in a sparkly periwinkle tutu paired with her usual frown blossomed in Animo's mind and she barely suppressed a snort. "Fairy godmother?"

"Hmm," Avril hummed in response while she tugged at Avril's neckline. "We can definitely go a bit lower."

Feeling herself flush, Animo tried to bat the girl's hands away blindly, "Avril! This party is still at the school."

Avril's hands were firm as she yanked Animo's arms away from her newly exposed collarbone. "Please. The amount of alcohol Slughorn allows at these things breaks at least a dozen school rules. I would kill to wear something like this." There was a sudden rush of air as Animo heard the Slytherin step backwards, doing a final survey of her adjustments. "Except my family would accuse me of being.. free with my body. Time to protest the ridiculous chauvinistic notions of this world." There was a sharp clap as Avril urged her to open her eyes.

Blinking her gaze, Animo's mouth fell open at her reflection in the mirror. The halter dress was clad so tightly to her figure, her ribs could barely expand to breathe properly. Emerald velvet slunk just above her knees while a silver armlet spiraled up her right bicep, ending in the head of a serpent. She patted her hair gingerly, which was slicked back about her skull and hung in a straight wave past her shoulders. "I'm not sure I scream 'Slytherin' quite enough," she murmured teasingly, scanning her brown gaze. It was becoming more difficult to remember the violet of her true orbs after so many months of keeping it hidden.

"Our house could use a little more pride," Avril shrugged, adjusting the waist of her own ballgown, which hung in an A-line to the floor. "Never let the other houses forget that Slytherins dominate the school," she flashed a wicked smile while she tossed a scarlet tube towards Animo. "Just need a bit of lip and it'll all come together."

Pursing her lips, Animo spread the crimson colour evenly, unsure if she was applying it right. Makeup had not exactly been Albus's area of expertise, although he did posses a much better fashion taste than she ever did. Still, growing up in hiding had been without the usual rites of passage.

"Let me see," Avril walked over, the golden sequins of her dress casting a reflection of lights against the stone wall. Her satin green heels made her nearly equal to Animo's height. "Perfection," she grinned, "I'm supposed to meet Alphard near the entrance to the Great Hall.

Animo laughed, following the girl down the stairs and into the common room. "After he finally mustered the courage to ask you! Only took Lyall threatening to snatch you up."

"Right," Avril rolled her eyes, pushing past the gap between the stone wall that led into the dungeons. "One, he's two years older than I am. And two, he's a Gryffindor." The disgust creased her made-up face, taking away from her proper air. "Would never happen."