4

Animo pursed her lips as she watched the drawn form of Draco Malfoy disappear down the seventh-floor corridor. The Welcoming Feast had yet to reach its peak and yet the Slytherin was already roaming the halls, his hand twitching towards the wand in his pocket suspiciously. She felt a stab of worry for the unnatural shade of the boy's skin while she began to tail him, making sure to keep a safe distance behind and muttering a Disillusionment Charm. It was one of her more successful spells, but with the dark magic Draco was surrounded by, Animo didn't want to take any chances of discovery.

As he stopped in front of the blank expanse of wall towards the end of the walkway, Animo bit back a frustrated curse. She had used the Room of Requirement as her personal quarters since her arrival at Hogwarts. Yet last year, Harry Potter had found use for it as some sort of training room and Animo had been forced to take the spare bedroom in Albus's quarters. Something she had not been particularly fond of. The old man's snoring had only grown worse with age.

Animo allowed herself a slight moment to mourn the loss of a peaceful year of rest while the familiar iron working appeared upon the stone, slowly melding into a great pair of doors that led anywhere the seeker sought. Draco turned to check once over his shoulder, his narrow face twisted with paranoia before he shoved one of the doors open and disappeared inside.

Quickening her pace, Animo reached the handle just as the outline of the door began to melt back into cobblestone and pulling it forward with a jerk, she slipped into the Room. Her eyes widened in amazement as she observed what lay before her. In all her imaginings, never had the Room become this.

Countless piles of discarded artifacts hovered as high as the eye could see, with various chairs and vases tottering dangerously meters from the floor. There seemed to be no end to the diversity of the assortment. From musty wigs to yellowed porcelain baths to ancient books that even Animo couldn't translate after all her lessons with Albus, the room had everything one could imagine.

Although nothing of use, Animo reflected, wincing as she nearly trod on a piece of glass. It would take her ages to find where Draco had gone.

Then, there was a loud shout, followed by a slam that resounded across the piles, sending a few rolls of parchment fluttering down from the stacks.

Animo quirked her eyebrow. Or not.

Starting forward at a renewed pace, Animo tried to stick to the shadows cast by the objects. With all the variation in texture, she wasn't sure how well her Disillusionment Charm would hold. Turning beside a cabinet with a rather ugly bust of Merlin, Animo immediately ducked behind a large moth-eaten sofa with her face smooshed uncomfortably close to the tartan.

Draco stood in front of a rather large cabinet that was wide enough to fit several people. The dark wood gave off an ominous air, one that Animo knew was influenced by dark magic from the gooseflesh that sprouted along her arms. Watching in confusion, Animo stared as Draco reached up to pull the door open before slamming it again with a yell of anger. Closing her eyes, Animo focused, attempting to wriggle her way into Draco's mind. Unfortunately, Snape had done a thorough job teaching the boy Occlumency and his walls reminded her of a tightly coiled spring. Each crack was visible but impossible to push through.

Finally, Animo saw a weakness in his foundation and barreled forward as her mind was suddenly assaulted with flashes of memories. An ancient shop, full of dark relics. Bellatrix's teeth bared in pleasure. Animo twitched, frowning as she attempted to bury herself further.

Hogwarts.

Animo's eyes snapped open just as Draco flinched, sensing he wasn't alone. The boy whipped out his wand, pointing at the stacks in a threatening manner, although the frightened look in his silver gaze contrasted from his protective stance.

"Who's there?" Draco stammered, brandishing his wand in a clumsy wave while he backed towards the cabinet.

With her mind muddled from the dive into Draco's thoughts, Animo stumbled to the right, deeper into the room where she knew she could hide until the Slytherin left. Crawling in an almost cat-like fashion, she stepped around a trio of old broomsticks with wood peeling from the handles. She made a mental note to try and remember their location. That would be a useful escape route.

Finally shying away from Draco's cabinet, Animo scrunched herself beneath a giant rolled tapestry. The crimson threads were woven into a fabric that could have encircled her several times over. Ducking her head towards her knees, Animo tried to steady her pounding heart. Draco was going to let the Death Eaters infiltrate Hogwarts.

Tears pricked the back of her eyes as Animo curled her legs towards her chest. Outside of the loveless building she had shared with Gellert, Hogwarts had been the only home she'd ever known.

That thought sparked another, the memory of several weeks ago when Albus had urged her to go back in time. To try and stop Gellert once more. Animo shuddered and clasped her shaking hands together. His words seemed to trail wherever she went, a constant nag of the truth she had been avoiding. Animo closed her eyes. She knew the time Albus wished her to return to was significant beyond just her brother. It was also the final year of Tom Riddle's schooling. A time where Voldemort had already created his first two horcruxes and opened the Chamber of Secrets. A frown creased her forehead. Albus had told her time and time again of Tom's empty past, full of the taunts of orphans and little care. If she were to try and change that...

Animo shivered as a chill crept up her spine. At the very least, she would have the chance to stop two dark wizards in one go. An impossible feat, but Animo was no longer afraid of dying. A gentle smile teased the ends of her lips as she recalled Albus's words.

The unlived life is far worse than death.