40

Animo ducked into an alleyway, keeping her head held low as she turned towards Hogwarts. However, her precautions were unnecessary amongst the ravaged streets. Aurors bustled in every direction, attempting to put out the fires that raged within several of the shops, eating at the wooden baseboards and staining the stone black.

Yet, she could ascertain that the Ministry was on edge based on the guards stationed on every block, their bodies forming frozen silhouettes against the darkening sky. It wasn't until Animo was on the bridge leading back towards the castle that she allowed herself to break into a run. Her feet scrambled for purchase upon the rocks and sticks littering the path. The occasional scarf or mitten dotted the landscape, remnants from the students that had fled during the attack.

Reaching the courtyard, Animo veered towards the Headmaster's Office, her heart pounding in her chest while she pulled her robes over her injured arm. There was little else that she could do. And if Albus was anywhere to be found, it would be at Dippet's side.

"I WILL NOT BE DISSAUDED!"

Animo stiffened at the firm voice, recognizing no sympathy in the bass tones. A loud thud followed the outburst, sounding akin to someone slamming a fist upon wood.

To her relief, the gargoyle that typically guarded the office had stepped aside, its leaden expression seeming rather irritated at the chaos.

"Minister—"

"No," what could only be the Minister of Magic's voice returned, echoing down the stairwell. "Tear apart this castle if you must. If Grindelwald's sister is truly on these grounds, no one is safe."

"I assure you, she poses little danger." Albus's measured words made Animo's eyes prick with tears. Why was the professor defending her now, after so many months of silence?

A faint pause followed the professor's statement, although there was little doubt that the minister disregarded his words. Professor Dippet gave a nervous squeak.

"I'm afraid I am still rather at a loss of what is happening, Minister."

"We have apprehended one of Grindelwald's men," Spencer-Moon spat the name with a clear hatred. From what Animo had read in the papers, it contradicted the man's even nature. "He speaks of a sister of Grindelwald. Who strangely enough, resembles a student at your school."

There was a loud creak as someone in the room pushed back their chair, scraping the legs against the floor. "I assure you," Headmaster Dippet sounded rather frightened, his voice weak. "I had no inkling of her existence. Are you certain of this?" The doubt was clear in his tone. "To be truly related to Gellert, his sister would not be—"

"So young?"

A new voice entered the mix, cool and dry. "Which is why the Ministry believes that Gellert has begun to meddle with time."

"I do not believe he would be so foolish." For a second time, Animo felt a faint flare of hope at the firmness in Albus's statement.

"Once again, Dumbledore," the voice whom Animo could only assume was a head auror interjected. "What causes you to believe these things so strongly? Perhaps there is more to your connection with Grindelwald than you are willing to admit."

An uncomfortable silence followed the accusation.

"That's not what is most pressing," the minister redirected the conversation, his voice echoing more clearly down the steps as he paced towards the entrance. "The girl must be found immediately."

"And what do you plan on doing with her?"

Albus's question was stiff and Animo realized that the coy professor from the future had not yet developed. This Albus was still unsure of his decisions, hesitant of any sort of commitment. It would take decades to build his confidence.