44

A small girl chased her brother through a thick forest, her nightgown fluttering at her heels. The fabric was worn with use and her short hair hung about her shoulders. The trees closed in around her young figure, but the branches did not speak of fright. For the girl knew the paths through the roots like the back of her hand. It was only a matter of finding where her brother had disappeared.

"Ani."

Animo blinked as a soft hand shook her shoulder, its touch speaking of urgency. She realized that she had fallen asleep against the edge of the porch. Tom's hand was firmly wrapped around her waist and she bit back a smile, gazing at the boy in her drowsy state.

"Animo!"

Snapping her head around, Animo jumped to see Albus standing before her, his expression haggard with exhaustion.

"Al!" she stood quickly, still feeling rather lightheaded. Their encounter with the dementors had taken its toll. "What—"

"It is time."

Albus's simple words made her freeze.

"Already?" Her whisper was light, barely carried by the breeze. Animo was not ready to face her brother. But she never would have been. Who is ready to tear their family apart?

Dipping his head, Albus's brilliant gaze softened at the defeat in her shoulders. "He is not who he once was, Ani."

A songbird sang a mournful tune in the distance and the sound trailed through the trees, amplifying Animo's pain.

She frowned at Albus's hand, which was tightly wrapped around his wand. Her friend was terrified. "You found a way to break the blood vial?"

"I had a brief meeting with Nicholas Flamel." Albus pursed his lips, surveying the foundation of the house before them with a sad gleam in his eye. "He holds a knowledge that surpasses my own." Then the professor nodded towards the boy beside them. Animo had a feeling that Tom was only pretending to be unconscious. The Slytherin was not a heavy sleeper. "Have things changed?"

Animo stared at the sunset glimmering behind the trees, casting a red shadow over their features. "I hope so." She hesitated, uncertain of whether to continue when Tom was very well listening. "Al, is there any way to heal a soul split by horcruxes?"

The only indication that the boy beside her had heard was the tightening of his shoulders. Albus peered down at Animo over his crooked nose, indicating that he too was aware of Tom's presence. "It has never been recorded—" Animo's hope died in her chest. "But I believe that if the creator showed great remorse for what he had done.." Albus trailed off, lost in thought. "It would be possible."

A hint of a smile curved Animo's cheek but Albus sent her a cautious look.

"But it does not bring the creator's victims back to life."

The words were harsh and Animo looked down at her fingers. She had pressed the thought of the people Tom had killed from her mind, down so deep that she had nearly forgotten them. Moaning Myrtle had been an occasional companion of hers in the future, although the ghost did more to torment her than to help. Still, Tom had been the reason for that girl's death. But— Animo remembered the dementors, the way they sucked all semblance of happiness from the air. The way it felt as though she would never breathe again. "Who decides the receiver of redemption?"

A faint amusement passed over Albus's gaze. "Not us, certainly." He eyed Tom with a quiet consideration. "I, too, have caused my share of sorrow." Turning away, Albus extended the crook of his arm. "I do believe we have a last adventure together, my dear."

Animo eyed the vibrant purple of his robes. His peculiar response made her falter. "Albus, about Fawkes—"

"Ah, he has been freed." Albus tilted his head, reminding her of the obstinate phoenix. "I fear his owner is far too prone to danger. Although I am glad he was there in your hour of need."