19

Standing in the crowded corridor, Animo was thankful for her height as she stood on her toes, waving Alphard and Avril over in front of the Charms classroom.

Pushing his way through the masses of milling students, Alphard appeared rather disheveled while he fixed Animo with a sour expression. On the other hand, Avril beamed, her wide smile a rarity on her somber face.

"I'm making Alphard come tonight as well." She poked the boy slightly in the stomach. "Merlin knows, he could use the exercise."

Scowling, Alphard swatted her hand away with the back of his textbook. "I'll have you know I'm on the quidditch team, thank you."

Avril quirked a dark brow. "As a back-up."

Smiling slightly, Animo bid the pair farewell, although she doubted they heard her. Once they got arguing, it was usually better to leave than to attempt any further conversation.

She turned down the corridor with a brief push past a trio of Hufflepuff third years, who were squabbling over the latest cover of Witch Weekly. Animo pulled her scarf tighter. December was nearing, which she tried not to think about. It was as though her time at Hogwarts were displayed on an hourglass and the sand was now falling quite thickly.

Suddenly, there was a harsh tug on her elbow. "Well, Dom, I feel rather betrayed."

The voice of Lyall Lupin taunted her as Animo spun around, already wondering what torture the Gryffindors had in store for her next. Dominic lingered at his right, no books in hand as usual.

"And we offered a ruddy quidditch lesson and everything," Dominic grunted, shaking his head at Animo in disapproval. "Yet, she's having a snake gathering and didn't invite us."

"What—" Animo's eyes widened in realization and she cursed inwardly. The last thing she needed was the boisterous pair finding out about the dueling club. They were by far the worst at keeping secrets. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Lyall just grinned. His combed hair appeared more auburn in the winter light filtering through the window. "You're a terrible liar, Wallace. Your tone goes all high," he mimicked a girly giggle.

"Oh, shove off," Animo grumbled , glancing to make sure no one was paying attention before she reached over and dragged them into an empty classroom. "Muffilato," she shut the door quietly with a wave of her wand.

"Bloody hell," Dominic rubbed the scruff of his neck, which admittedly had turned a brilliant shade of red. "Remind me not to get on your bad side."

Lyall, on the other hand, was entirely unaffected as he plopped down on the top of the professor's desk. He even crossed his feet at the ankles, exposing a pair of scarlet socks. Following Animo's gaze of distaste, the boy grinned. "Jealous, Wallace? I'd give you a pair, but something tells me red isn't your color."

Rolling her eyes, Animo shifted on her feet, eager to get this confrontation over with. The best way to quell the boy's suspicion would be to tell the truth. "I was discussing a sort of.. dueling club with Alphard and Avril," she hated using such an arbitrary term, but what was she to say? Avril would be none to fond of her for exposing such a delicate matter.

"Well," Lyall tossed down the bit of chalk he had been using to doodle a rather accurate depiction of a Bowtruckle on the desk, "I'm in."

"Wha—"

"Don't worry, darling," Lyall winked before he pushed himself back onto the floor with ease, "we'll find you. Do try not to be late."

Watching the pair duck back into the corridor, Animo became aware that her mouth was still hanging open. She shut it slowly, all the while grumbling under her breath. This was certain to complicate things a bit.