13

Ducking inside the witch's hump, Animo clambered down the steps into the secret passage that led to Honeydukes. Thankfully the tunnel existed as it had in the future and Animo had no trouble navigating the twists and turns, even stepping over the occasional divot in the rough stone beneath.

After half an hour, Animo stood with her chest heaving, looking up towards the chipped trapdoor with an expression of uncertainty. Closing her eyes, she took a steadying breath, settling her nerves. If she didn't go now, she never would.

Swinging up her hands, Animo hauled herself up the ladder, tapping her head as she creaked open the trapdoor, careful not to let the hinges fall away. The Disillusionment Charm slid into place, as comfortable as a second skin. Waving her hand over the shelves, Animo relaxed when she saw that it was impossible to tell her body from the background. She hadn't realized how much she missed being anonymous.

As she strolled through Hogsmeade, Animo observed just how little the shops had changed despite her time travel. The wizarding world had always seemed rather set back, with fireplaces and medieval architecture and Animo reckoned magic was rather timeless in itself. She shivered as another icy breeze encircled her before she ducked into an alley, tightening her black scarf.

Today, Animo had dressed simply in a long black dress and boots. It eerily reminded her of her Death Eater uniform, but she knew that drawing attention would be detrimental to what she was trying to do.

Closing her eyes, Animo turned on her heel and apparated with a 'pop.' To her relief, the tugging sensation in her stomach returned. She had never been very good at navigating the movements properly and had splinched herself more times than not, despite Albus's corrections.

She righted herself in another alley, this one darker and dingier than those in Hogsmeade. She watched an unordinarily large rat scurry behind a rubbish bin overflowing with bloodied fabric and knew she had come to the right place.

Animo pulled her hood over her head, hiding her light strands and glancing once more in her pocket mirror, ensuring her eyes had remained a muddy brown. She had taken to recasting the enchantment every morning, but there was always a nag in her brain that wondered if any violet were showing through.

Strutting out into the marginally populated street, Animo adopted the hurried pace and conniving posture common to those who frequented Knockturn Alley. She held her breath as she passed a restaurant called "The Hag's Hind," which smelled like its namesake. Whatever they were cooking, Animo made a mental note never to ingest.

She paused outside of a Gothic style shop, the wooden border of the window peeling with age. A single turret rose up from the right side of the roof, lending the structure a bizarre sense of balance. Animo drew her cloak closer to her chest. The cracked glass was impossible to see through. She hated The Starry Prophesier.

Avoiding the gold handle of the door, Animo ducked into the alleyway beside a crooked full-length mirror. Any entrant who wasn't aware of the secret entrance would try the door handle and instantly be sucked inside the shop's basement. For how long, Animo had never wanted to ask. Only a true Seer could look ahead and predict where the real door was. She ran a gloved finger along the surface of the mirror, causing the glass to ripple. Thankfully, Gellert had taken her a handful of times as a child.

Animo closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath, not wanting to watch as she stepped through the mirror and into the shop. It felt as though the blade of a knife was being held against her throat, cold and bitter and warning her not to make any sudden moves.

Blinking, Animo straightened her posture while a swirl of fog glided into the entryway. Before her loomed a dark hallway that was lit by the occasional glass orb hanging midway in the air. As soon as Animo passed underneath, the flame inside shuttered out.