16

Smoothing a dark brush of kohl down the length of her eyelid, Animo settled back to analyze her appearance. Tonight was the Halloween Ball and Animo was rather bitter that the event had never taken place at Hogwarts in her time. Though, it was probably for the best, she reflected while she straightened a last piece of her pale hair. From what she had heard of the Yule Ball, dances tended to be a disaster.

"You're awfully excited."

Animo glanced over to where Avril lounged on her bed, donning a sleek black dress that hung to her ankles. The tops of her collarbone were just visible above the tasteful neckline that highlighted her cocoa skin tone. "And you're not." She motioned for Avril to shift forward so she could pat one of her twists back into place. "I didn't get to do many things like this growing up," she pursed pink lips, "or at all, really."

Amber gaze flashing with a sort of understanding, Avril tucked her feet beneath her lap, adjusting the scales of Animo's dress with a flick of her wand. The fabric flared a deeper purple. "Well, I grew up surrounded by parties like this one and I can assure you," her expression tightened, "being in a roomful of people can be much lonelier than solitude."

The image of the Malfoy dining hall flashed in Animo's mind and she shuddered at the remembrance of the emptiness in the eyes of the Death Eaters. "I see."

Shaking her head, Avril changed the subject easily. Animo noticed the girl was prone to do so whenever their conversation turned particularly personal. "Well, you'll certainly outdo Lucretia." Avril bared her teeth in triumph. "She's going as a vampire."

Turning to scan her dress in the mirror, Animo bit the edge of her lip. "She might retain a bit more of a 'edgy' factor than I." Animo had donned her interpretation of a mermaid, wearing a purple dress that hugged her figure until it fell to the floor in a cascade of fabric. Certainly, it was a bit provocative for the time, but Animo was tired of the wool skirts that fell past her knees. Her hair hung straight nearly to her waist and Avril had charmed it to carry the scent of salt water.

"Please," Avril rolled her eyes, "high black collars and red lipstick are completely cliché." At Animo's amused nod towards her own attire, Avril shot her a smirk. "I'll have you know that I'm dressed as a Thestral."

"Ah, the bringer of death."

The phrase hung uncomfortably between the pair before Animo pulled her friend upwards, regretting her word choice. "C'mon. I've got to see Alphard's reaction."

A dark blush deepened Avril's cheeks, although she tried to hide it with a scowl as they descended the stairs leading down from Animo's dormitory. "For the millionth time, since it hasn't seemed to sink into your thick skull, we're going as friends."

"And gnomes will fly," Animo raised a skeptical eyebrow while they stepped into the Slytherin Common Room, which had remained free of all decoration. Her house tended to avoid celebration as if it were some sort of disease. "I've never had a romantic life, let me live through you," she patted the girl's upper arm gently, aware that Avril did not particularly welcome physical touch.

"I—"

Avril's exclamation was cut off as Alphard hurried towards them from the dungeon stairs, his suit adorably rumpled. Animo noticed that his buttons were fastened unevenly and she bit back a smile. As much as he tried to act pompous, Alphard was a child at heart.

"We're going to miss—" Alphard's complaining abruptly cut short as the boy made eye contact with Avril, his brown gaze widening. "I—" he stuttered, giving an awkward cough as Animo held back a snicker. Avril elbowed her in the side in a very inconspicuous fashion. "Er.. you look beautiful."