30

"EXPELLIARMUS!"

Lyall's wand twitched feebly, but the smirk reigned on the Gryffindor's face while Alphard growled in frustration.

"Why do we have to learn a ruddy disarming spell anyways?" his eyes darkened as Dominic thumped his mate's shoulder, "I know much more advanced magic."

Animo sent an uncertain glance towards the corner of the chamber, where Cilla's sister, Celene, loomed in the shadows. How the unfriendly girl had ever made it into Hufflepuff, she had no idea. But her judgmental presence was fraying Animo's nerves rapidly.

"Actually, you never know when it might come in handy," pursing her lips, Animo tried to lie as tactfully as she could. The world was not yet aware of the 'Chosen One' and his preference for the disarming charm. Personally, Animo was rather skeptic of its usefulness, but then again, she had never dueled Voldemort. "I've seen it get people out of some impossible situations."

Scowling, Alphard stalked from the circle of floor that they had cleared for the latest dueling session. The torches burned dimly tonight, seeming to reflect everyone's impatient mood. Exams had not been pleasant this week and Animo's brain was rather flattened by the pointless information she had crammed inside her skull.

"C'mon," she managed a meager smile while Cilla tried to coax Celene onto the floor, to no avail. "It's nearly the holidays. Cheer up, you lot!"

As if to affirm her words, a faint dusting of snow began to spiral down from the cavernous ceiling above, lining their hair with frost.

"You know what we need," Lyall wriggled his brows shamelessly in Animo's direction, "Is some mistletoe."

Closing her eyes, Animo took a breath of the crisp air and let a snowflake melt on her tongue, soothing her fiery nerves. She prayed that she would find the strength to endure the holidays. But after years of waiting, her patience was growing thin. What did she expect, Gellert to storm the castle gates?

"Mate, I think that means she's not interested," Dominic scoffed before planting a firm one on Cilla's lips. Animo didn't miss the snarl that twisted Celene's face, however briefly. "Go find yourself a fifth year. They tend to set their standards a bit lower."

"Young does not mean blind," Avril retorted, her dark lips tight with disapproval. Animo swore the girl could beat McGonagall's death stare.

Shrugging his arm over Cilla's shoulder, Dominic raised his eyebrows pointedly at the disgruntled boy beside her. "You're with Black. Point proven."

Instantly, Alphard seemed to choke on his breath, his face flushing a brilliant red. There was a flash of unease in Avril's amber gaze.

"Alright, enough of the childish insults," Animo waved her wand and summoned the camera she had tucked away for the occasion. The upholstery of the sofa billowed as the camera soared into her grasp. "Picture time."

"Is that a mud—muggle camera?" Alphard was quick to correct his language as Lyall and Dom shifted closer, a poised threat in their stance.

Tilting her head to get the best angle, Animo stuck out her tongue in concentration. "I gave it a few alterations. Now shut up before you ruin it for everyone." She clicked just in time to capture Alphard's dark expression.

"Honestly, Annie, have you no idea how to take a proper picture?" Lyall sent her an amused glance, his hazel eyes glimmering with the reflection of the light above. "You have to choose something stupid for us to say."

Feeling suddenly self-conscious, Animo smoothed a sweaty palm down the side of her robe. She had never before used a camera in front of others. "Err.. Alright," she chewed on the inside of her cheek, "Sluggy's knickers?"