Chapter 2

The mysterious apprentice was well known by now. He had appeared out of nowhere six years ago as the physical prime's apprentice. Plenty of questions asked, none answered. No one knew what his name was, or what he really looked like. He wore a white prime apprentice hood over his face everywhere he went, as was merely referred to as 'the mystery apprentice'.

What everyone did know was that he was going to be the most powerful prime in history. He never talked, never showed up at admin meetings, and when he did he hovered around Prime 1 like her shadow. His mouth never moving except for an occasional smirk.

Xelqua didn't mind. He enjoyed the reverent glances he was given as he walked around the halls of the admin HQ comfortably. He was the sole apprentice now, as Fulgar had succeeded his primeship to Pearl Moon just under a year ago.

Nobody was sure why - he was still considered a young prime. But Xelqua had noticed how now he hung around Prime 1 like her second shadow, a body guard of sorts.

The day they attacked for the first time in six years Xelqua was sitting in the library reading a book on advanced shifting. He had already envisioned what he wanted his wings to look like when he was prime, and he was sure he could shift them if he needed. What he was interested in now was shifting his appearance.

To become taller, older-looking. Despite being twenty-two years old he was much shorter than many of the younger apprentices. No, that was not accaptable.

Suddenly he heard a commotion in the halls, and he quickly sent out a radar of a thin silver veil. When the vibrations bounced back to him, Xelqua turned as white as paper. He stumbled to his feet, filling himself up with magic like a balloon.

By now, after so many countless hours of ruthless training with Prime 1 his magic marks had already come in. Swirls of silver loops and dots snaked their way around his back and a few circled all the way around to his chest. The sheer mass of his magic marks showed just how powerful he was, and Xelqua was proud of them even though nobody but himself and his mentor had ever seen them.

Xelqua felt a warm tingle run down his back and he knew his marks had activated. They glowed so bright a few beams of light made their way through the thick fabric of Xelqua's long white robes. Xelqua raced down the gravely empty hallways, sensing his mentor was somewhere far away fighting them.

He charged his legs with magic and bolted out the window, leaping through the air a whopping two-hundred meters before light-leaping and landing in a near roll only a hundred feet from his mentor. He had leaped thousands of blocks in a second, but even that took minimal magic for the prodigee.

He was still struck with awe when he saw Prime 1 fighting with her full, primal power. It was breathtaking, and made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.

A deadly dance of plumes of golden fire. They didn't call her the golden flame prime for nothing. Her specialty lay withing the depths of her magical primal fire.

As Xelqua raced to his mentor's side, time seemed to stand still. He saw the head watcher appear above her from thin air, he saw the watcher raise his fist, Xelqua reached out his hand, crying a warning but it was too late. The prime's face looked upwards too late, and the bolt of purple lightning impaled straight through her chest.

Rage, sorrow, and fear filled Xelqua, and suddenly he was by his mentors side. He didn't even register that he had teleported as a huge violet dome expanded from his chest, shattering his watcher-magic muting cuffs. Knocking every watcher and admin within a hundred miles clean off the map.

He didn't even register that he was the first player in existence to use muted magic to break the muter cuffs themselves.

Tears fell from his eyes thickly, his hood had fallen down. He lay his mentors face in his lap, her eyes closed so peacefully. Her heart thudded ever so slowly. She won't open her eyes again... Suddenly a golden light enveloped her entire body, and Prime 1's eyes fluttered open one last time.