Chapter 20

Location: Somewhere in another dimension

"Why didn't you tell me!?" The figure cried.

"I didn't want to hurt you!" The second man defended himself.

"Hurt or not, I deserved the truth!" The first figure seemed close to tears. His voice could now be distinguished as male.

"What do you want me to do? You know now. Why does it matter? We can't get back there anyway if you're thinking about joining him." The second man yelled, angry.

"No, you're wrong. You can't. I can." The first man's blue eyes blazed.

"No! You can't do that! You could die-"

"Goodbye-" The name the first man spoke was drowned by a roar of the wind. An object shattered on the cold, bland stone, and in a flash of bright blue light the first man disappeared. The second fell to his knees, sobbing. Somehow the man knew it was the last time he would ever see the first. Not in this life, at least.

. . .

Grian materialized on top of the admin headquarters. From his high vantage point, he could see Gem and Scar single-handedly fighting off thousands of watchers. Their red and green magic collided with the force of violet in breathtaking, charged explosions.

Grian ran forward and leaped off the roof of the building, light-leaping next to Gem and Scar.

"Oh, Grian! Nice of you to join us!" Scar called. "Hey you two, you might wanna' stand back!" Scar called. Grian and Gem immediately threw up a shimmering forcefield.

"∷╎ᓭᒷ ⚍!¡, ⍑𝙹ᔑ∷↸ᓭ 𝙹⎓ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ ↸ᒷᔑ↸! r╎ᓭᒷ ⚍!¡ ᔑリ↸ ᓭᒷ∷⍊ᒷ ||𝙹⚍∷ ᒲᔑᓭℸ ̣ ᒷ∷! r𝙹ᓭᒷ, r╎ᓭᒷ, r╎ᓭᒷリ! y𝙹⚍∷ ℸ ̣ ╎ᒲᒷ ⍑ᔑᓭ ᓵ𝙹ᒲᒷ!" Scar chanted in the language of magic. As Scar uttered the last words, by some phenomenon the galactic had awoken something.

Suddenly Grian heard a loud Crack! It was coming from under his feet. Grian unfolded his wings in a blur of speed and grabbed Gem's torso, yanking her into the air with him. Seconds later a huge rift cracked open in the floor where they had been standing seconds ago.

Grian peered over the side of the ravine. It shimmied all the way down to the earth's core and glowed with fiery lava. Grian almost dropped Gem out of sheer shock when the armies of undead mobs began pouring out of the crack, charging at the oncoming watchers.

"Yes! Go and attack, bring doom forth upon you enemies!" The necromancer laughed giddily as he charged into battle, leading the army of mobs.

"You know you don't need to carry me, right?" Gem wriggled free of Grian's hold and began to drop through the air. For a second Grian was gripped with terror, but suddenly Gem stopped mid-fall, hovering in midair. She waved cheerily up at him. Ah, more higher power perks. Grian shook his head, still getting over his fright.

"Nature time!" Gem called, raising her hands. She was still hovering in midair as huge stalks of vines began shooting out of the ground. Grian merely raised his eyebrows when he saw that they were all covered with blooming pink flowers.

However, the aesthetically pleasing vines did their job. They snaked around several flying watchers, constricting their prey like vipers. "The prettiest things are often deadly." Gem flew up to Grian's level.

All she had to do was stroke the air like she was swimming and she was propelled in whatever direction she pleased. "Uh - show off!" Grian nudged Gem with a snicker.

"It's your turn now, prime admin. Let's see what you can do." Gem smiled and pushed Grian forward. Already the remaining watcher forces were dwindling severely. Many had been snagged by Gem's vines and thrown to the ground where Scar's undead forces waited.