Chapter 22

Grian had accomplished everything he needed to. Pearl, Gem, and Scar would rule Minecraftia. The hermits' life would return to normal. Mumbo would wake up in a few weeks and get over Grian's death. It would be hard, but Grian knew the redstonist would survive.

"Sunan?" Grian heard a voice call his name. It was Taurtis, calling him into the next life. I'm sorry, Taurtis. I didn't hide you well enough. The watchers found you, and now you're dead.

Grian breathed his last.

"No! NO! Sunan, come back! Please, I'm here!" The figure in the dark blue cloak cried, shaking Grian. Pearl stood behind him, tears sliding down her cheeks. Scar and Gem were on their knees next to Grian. Scar gently closed Grian's eyes. "I'm too late," Taurtis turned to Pearl.

"I should have stopped him." Was all Pearl said as she buried her face in her hands.

"Scar, can you bring him back? You're a necromancer! You have to bring him back!" Taurtis cried.

"I can't bring players back to life. Not unless you want a zombie Grian." Scar shook his head.

"Sunan did it! Sunan brought hundreds of players back to life, look around!" Taurtis begged.

"Grian is the most powerful being I've ever seen. He was the one who gave Zebdar his powers in the beginning. And look at the price he paid... a life for a life, it's a rule as old as time."

"A life for a life... if someone gave up their lives Sunan would live?" Taurtis asked suddenly. Scar turned around slowly, the meaning of Taurtis's question dawning on him.

"No, Grian wouldn't want that." Scar's voice was barely above a whisper.

"Scar, he's Notch. His life means so much more than mine ever will. Scar, you know that Sunan was the last of his line! Notch will die!" Taurtis shook the necromancer.

"I think that's what Grian wanted." Scar said suddenly.

"No! You don't understand! Now that Sunan's dead and he was carrying Notch's power, the power won't distribute itself among the admins like it would if Sunan had died without Notch's power! Minecraftia will start dying, Scar! There will be nothing left! You have to do it!" Tautis was frantic.

"You want to give your life to save Grian?" Scar asked.

"I already thought he died once. I can't bear it if I went through his death twice." There was so much pain layering Taurtis's voice.

"I... I can't-" Scar looked like he was fighting a mental battle.

"Yes you can. Do it. Please." Taurtis begged.

"I... fine. Are you sure? I can't undo this... you'll be giving Grian your life."

"For the greater good." Taurtis assured Scar. His deep turquoise blue eyes glimmered with sureness.

"⎓∷𝙹ᒲ 𝙹リᒷ ℸ ̣ 𝙹 ᔑリ𝙹ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ∷, ᔑ ℸ ̣ ∷ᔑリᓭᔑᓵℸ ̣ ╎𝙹リ ╎リ ꖎ╎⎓ᒷ." Scar spoke finally, placing his hand on Taurtis's chest. When Scar removed his hand, a little blue fire-like thing was held in his palm. Tautis gasped. Scar gently transferred the soul so he was holding it right above Grian's heart.

"Tell him... tell Sunan that my mindspace was dimming. I was ready. It wasn't his fault." Taurtis smiled for the last time. "Tell him I missed him." And with that Scar plunged Tautis's soul into Grian's chest, and Taurtis keeled over backwards, unmoving.

. . .

It was black. Then suddenly it was white. Grian was yanked upwards by an invisible rope, and suddenly he was back in his body. He could feel pain again... so much pain. Grian didn't remember pain being this strong. Then there was weight... Grian felt so heavy.