Chapter 3

"I regret to inform all of you that the new physical prime admin cannot join us for tonight's bi-annual meeting." Pearl stepped into the center of the huge meeting room, where a barely elevated circle-shaped stage stood.

Around the stage a couple hundred long tables were arranged, all filled with aspiring new admins and powerful older ones. The level nines were all at a single table closest to the front. There weren't many, only about nine in number.

The rest of the levels all had a column. There were eight columns of table arranged evenly in a circular pattern around the podium. That meant Grian's column was next to the level twos and the level eights. The level one column was considerably fuller than the level eight, which left fifteen tables empty and only two tables at the front full of powerful admins.

Grian had arrived early, and now he was seated close to a level eight admin Grian recognised as Xisuma Void. "Hey!" Grian waved, relishing the newfound freedom to talk with anyone. To not have to be perfect and quiet. A shadow.

"Hello. Are you new?" Xisuma smiled.

"You bet I'm new! I can't wait to be a prime admin!" Grian snickered. Xisuma laughed.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, newbie." Xisuma was stull chuckling, "it'll be a few years yet before either of them take apprentices, so if you work hard you might have a shot!" Xisuma grinned.

"Oh yes! But I hate working hard." Grian could barely contain his laughter.

"Well, if you want to be a prime admin you'll have to work harder than ayone else!" Xisuma smiled warmly at the wide-eyed level one.

Suddenly Grian's smile vanished. His face turned pale. A tall, moustached man with slick black hair and a familiar smile was walking towards him. Not him, Xisuma.

Thankfully Xisuma had noticed the stranger, too, and wasn't looking at Grian. "Hallo, Mumbo!" Xisuma stood up to hug the tall man.

"M-Mumbo?" Grian gasped.

Mumbo looked down and paled. It looked like he had seen a ghost. "X-" Grian quickly flicked his fingers behind his back and performed a rather complicated mind muddle. But as prime, he was more than capable. "G-Grian?" Mumbo gasped his new alias's name.

"Do you know eachother?" Xisuma frowned.

"GRIAN!" Mumbo cried, embracing the surprised admin.

"Mumbo!" Grian hugged him back. He could feel Pearl's confused gaze on his back, sharp as a dagger. He quickly released his childhood friend. Mumbo was over a foot taller than Grian, and he looked overjoyed, confused, and in awe all at once.

"Mumbo, it's so good to see you - I - I-" Grian started, but Xisuma quickly interrupted.

"Shh, it's starting!" Xisuma whispered harshly. Mumbo slid into the seat next to Xisuma reluctantly and pulled out a book and quill. He must have been volunteered to be the tier eight scribe this meeting, because Grian could easily sense everyone's power around him and Mumbo had no aura at all.

The only aura he had was a slightly burnt smell, one that reminded Grian a little of his former mentor. And... redstone. Grian grinned, his friend must have become a redstonist just as he had always wanted.

It had taken a while for all of Grian's memories to resurface, but when they had Grian had missed his childhood friend with an aching emptiness that comes with losing a brother.

Grian was barely listening as his prime partner rambled on about respect, battles, watcher nonsense and new reports. All he could think of is how he could explain his absence to Mumbo... and maybe get his best friend back.