Chapter 12

"Notch." Grian breathed as he put two-and-two together immediately.

"Wow! Clever grandson, I have!" Notch's eyebrows lifted in pleasant surprise, "Well then, you just spared me the introduction." Notch tipped an invisible hat.

"I'm smarter than I look. You aren't the first to find that out." Grian smirked, "Though at least you didn't have to learn the hard way."

"Ta." Notch snapped his fingers and two armchairs appeared in the endless white nothing. "Know where we are, yet?" Notch asked. Grian reluctantly shook his head.

"I've always had an odd affinity with the void... I have many names you know. Creator, champion, savior, corrupted one, though most frequently - the leader. But I'm no leader. I never was." Notch half-laughed. It was a mirthless, rueful sound. "Sure, I was the blessed one. I did what I had to. But I failed them all, in the end. I killed my best friend, blinded by power."

"So it's true... my mother's story."

"Yes. Your mother. Her name was Illia, was it not?" Notch smiled, "But I digress-"

"Why are we in the void?" Grian interrupted.

"As I said, I have many titles. But the one I prefer is void-born. I had no power before we fell into the void. It wasn't me who led the spell that transported us there, as the legends suggest. It was all Lillir." Notch admitted.

"I would have died, but the void took pity on me and gave me the power to survive, and beyond. All of it - everything - the sheer power of the entire void. As you know the void is something else entirely, and of course in the end no man could take it all. And stay sane, that is." Notch sighed,

"Ah..." Grian murmured softly,

"Ah indeed." Notch's smile returned, "As my only remaining direct descendant, my power is actually offered to you. Traditionally, that is. You already have some of it. Your admin energy, that's my base power. You're actually a watcher, but my descendants physically have to be admins to accept my energy if they wish. So you get..." Notch gestured to Grian.

"A Watcher-Prime." Grian breathed. Notch clapped his hands together, ecstatic that Grian was getting it.

"So, do you want the power of the void? It could all be yours. You could defeat the watchers with it. It would be like stomping on an ant." A ball of swirling blue light materialized in Notch's hand.

"No." Grian snapped immediately, leaping up and backing away.

"Indeed. I suspected so. Not one of my descendants has ever appreciated my power. Not a single one has ever accepted it. As you know, my power passes through lineage, just like all of the council members. Except for Xicom. I killed him, you know. It was not a fun battle." Notch mused aloud.

"Wait... there are other descendants of the original primes!?" Grian gaped.

"Well, of course. There are actually four left, total. Lillir's line died out in five generations. With her last descendant the gateway to the aether vanished forever. Herobrine and I are the only ones who get to offer our power to our descendants, though."

"Why?" Grian queried.

"While I was dying I locked the other council member's abilities away. Anyone can unlock the higher powers, but they have to know the spell. Since Herobrine was in the nether, my spell somehow didn't completely affect him. Only I know it." Notch shrugged.

"Why does being in the nether make your power less effective?" Grian frowned,

"Cross-dimension spells are always weakened. At least in the ancient dimensions. Nether. Aether. Oh, and a few ancient servers where the original council's lines lived. Like one." Notch waved his hand in a nonchalant gesture.