Chapter 17

Forwarning: DEATH. DEATH. DEATH. Yea...

Grian sat down on his bed, wondering if Notch would really help him. He knew Notch had special powers which allowed him to... well, create. Shape and form matter, if you will. And Grian needed something made of matter... a watcher disguise.

Notch, I need you. Grian called. Just as before, he was whisked away to his mindspace.

. . .

"You need something again? Already?" Notch grinned. Grian scowled.

"I mean, it would be nice to have something. But I really just need information. I want to know if there's a way I can create something to make myself look like a watcher." Grian asked.

"Hmm, cryptic not?" Notch chuckled. "Here, if you really want to look like a watcher just take this already." Notch tossed Grian a pale stone watcher mask. It was white with deep purple ruins on it.

"Oh!" Grian was surprised. "Thanks!" Grian hadn't really expected Notch to help him so directly.

"Oh, it's just a belated birthday gift from your grandfather. See you later!" Notch winked.

. . .

Grian stood up back in his room. At least this time he had collapsed on his bed and not on the hard wooden floors of Scar's treehouse. He was still holding the white mask. Grian stood before his mirror and placed it over his face.

Immediately Grian's wings were reshaped and recolored to a dark purple. Watcher wings were a common highest-level watcher accessory, as were masks. Dark watcher robes replaced Grian's white prime robes, and Grian's sandals were elongated and morphed to a dark violet.

As soon as Grian removed the mask he returned to his regular prime state. Grian whistled a low note. "Thanks, Grandfather. Best birthday present ever." Grian whispered.

He had never seen something so profoundly amazing and mind-bending. It was probably the most powerful magic Grian had ever seen - and he had seen a lot of powerful magic. Thanks, sonny! Grian could have sworn he heard Notch's voice behind him, but when he turned around nobody was there.

As Grian slid his mask into his pocket, he realized there was something else lurking at the bottom. Grian pulled out a small black grenade of sorts. Attached to it was a note on golden paper. One use only, strictly emergencies. Use it well. Grian shook his head. The note really couldn't have been more cryptic.

Grian sighed and pushed it back into his pocket, removing the mask. As Grian jogged back to the main room he could hear Pearl trying to interrogate the admins, but she was having no luck. All of them were refusing to speak, except Scar who completely ignored Pearl's questions and then ranted about his own dreary life and all his questions.

"Xelqua!" Pearl jumped when she realized Grian had sat down in the chair behind her. "I thought you were... um... visiting someone who could get you a disguise?"

"I was," Grian smirked.

"Then why are you back?" Pearl bit her lip, confused.

"Because I got my disguise." Grian grinned.

"You were gone for less than five minutes." Pearl's tone was scornful.

"So?" Grian laughed. Pearl said nothing but stared at Grian as though he was wearing a bright rainbow polka dot suit. Grian raised the small white mask.

"Surely that's not all you need. You can't walk into the watcher lair with a mask and a hoodie, Xel." Pearl was thoroughly aghast. Grian just snickered.