Chapter 21

Forewarning: (Slightly graphic) Death.

Accept it, accept it, accept it... The voice echoed.

No! It could destroy Minecraftia! Grian fought back.

Minecraftia will be destroyed anyway. Everyone you love... images of Mumbo, Pearl, Xisuma, False, the hermits... all of them dying, a sword stuck through them like Grian.

I can't! I won't! I promised! Grian could feel the nothingness taking over. He was nearly dead.

You must accept the void! It's the only way to save them! Take your place as Minecraftia's leader! Rise, Xelqua! Accept the void!

A-accept it? Grian thought of everyone he loved. Everyone was going to die. Dead like his mother and father. He couldn't save his parents. But he had a chance to save his new family.

Accept the void! Accept the void! Accept the void! The voice begged.

I... I accept the void.

Hevonir surveyed the destroyed admin grounds. Hundreds of watchers and admins alike littered the earth. But the most satisfactory corpse had to be the prime admin, laying in the center of a small clearing. Slew by the head watcher.

Hevonir smiled. All his enemies had been defeated. Notch's descendant had been too weak to accept his birthright... and now he had paid. As Hevonir turned to attack the main headquarters building, a loud whooshing noise filled the admin grounds.

"No..." Herobrine's descendant gasped as he was thrown out of the air by a spasm of bright pale blue. The prime admin's body floated into the air, spinning in a beam of light. His eyes were closed as if the watcher-prime was merely sleeping.

Grian gradually regained his senses. There was no pain... no fear... and then there was agony. A hot white light erupted in Grian's chest, sending spasms up and down his body. Grian screamed as every hair on his body felt like it had been lit on fire.

His muscles were all pulling, his bones were being crushed, and his entire body felt like it was imploding and exploding at once. There was so much light... the magic was killing him. He couldn't hold it, it was too much. Grian felt his skin sear as his magic marks burned, overloading.

Any second now he would explode, it was too much to bear. But if Grian died holding Notch's power, Minecraftia would end. Grian was the last descendant. He would take Minecraftia to the grave.

Grian's head pounded, his tendons strained, and his entire body shook violently. He could feel the wound in his stomach melding over. Yet there was still more magic. More and more and... boom! A powerful pulse of light exploded from Grian's body. Boom! Boom! The light continued to spasm.

With each spasm, Grian was pushed closer and closer to the edge...

Then with a final burst of blue, the same color as the void, the beacon vanished and Grian was falling to the ground like a rocket. Just as Grian was about to hit the ground he regained control of his senses and suddenly he wasn't falling. He was flying!

Grian felt the exhilarating rush of the air as he hovered above Minecraftia. So this was what it felt like to be a higher power. Grian felt completely in control, painless, and carefree. It was as if he had been born again, fresh and new.

Grian's prime robes had fallen off, of course. He was now merely wearing his tattered, stretched pants and the golden ring around his neck. Grian's bare back and his magic marks were exposed in the moonlight. They were now a blue color, not gold.

"Notch." Hevonir breathed. Grian whipped around to face Herobrine's descendant, and the peace was refueled with rage.

"Herobrine." Grian's voice came out controlled, though Grian himself shook with anger. "Well, you're dead," Grian smirked.