t w e n t y

I smile, and take the last bite. Savoring every moment of this sweet Boston cream donut. It's the perfect combination of the chocolate and cream in the middle that I let out a small moan.

"Don't make that noise, Claire." Conrad says. His voice tried to sound light and sarcastic but he failed. I could tell he was serious.

I'm grinning as I look at him innocently. "What? The donut was so good," I make the so good come out like a moan again and I can see him swallow, hard. His Adam's apple bobs up and down a few times before I start laughing. I hit his arm lightly before I shake my head. "Sorry it's too easy with you." I grin.

I place my hand on his leg, and give it a small squeeze before I go to take a sip of my coffee. I decided to get a Carmel latte today figuring I'm going to need the energy since I'm used to taking naps during my day. I don't plan on doing that, I want to soak up every moment I have with Conrad.

"Hey," I say when I noticed he hasn't said anything. "What did Laurel want to talk to you about yesterday?" I ask. His eyebrows scrunch up together and I can tell he's trying to figure out what I'm talking about. "At the book signing party."

He nods, but his lips are pressed together in a tight line. "Nothing," he mumbles. His whole demeanor just changed. The air even changed. It suddenly felt like this booth was too small for the two of us.

I scoot back an inch, and frown at him. "Nothing?" I ask again.

"Yep, nothing."

I nod, and sink into the seat a little bit. I look around the donut shop trying to find something to change the subject too but my minds blank. I don't know what to say, I'm not sure how bringing up his conversation with Laurel changed his mood so quickly.

I hear the bell chimes above the door go off and my heart instantly drops seeing who is walking in. It's Nicole. I couldn't forget her even if I wanted too. Imagines of Conrad and Nicole cuddled up by the fire replay in my mind and cause my stomach to churn. I look away quickly, praying to God she doesn't see us.

But of course, with my luck she did and she's making her way over to us. I suck in a breath, and force a smile to my lips. "Nicole," I smile. "Hi." It sounds so forced, so robotic. I hate that she makes me feel this way.

"Sorry what's your name again?" She asks.

It sounds sincere, like she genuinely just forgot my name but the way she's eyeing up the space between me and Conrad I know she remembers me.

"Claire," I say quietly. She's beautiful. She really is. It hurts me to say it, she makes me feel so small, and boring next to her.

I look at Conrad and see him staring at his hands. "I'm gunna go to the bathroom, I'll be right back." I smile at Nicole. I don't turn around to see if she slides into the booth or even talks to Conrad because I suddenly feel so sick.

I don't know how everything was going so great up until five minutes ago. I was on a life high, and finally was getting everything I dreamed. It all felt strained and tense with just one simple question and now Nicole is here interrupting mine and Conrad's day of fun. I was so excited. I am so mad at myself for getting my hopes up over today.

I just stood in the stall for a minute. I didn't actually have to go to the bathroom. I just needed a second to gather my thoughts. I wanted nothing more then to walk out there and just imagine his funky mood and Nicole being here. I was sadly disappointed once again when I walked out and saw Nicole sitting right where I just was. I keep my face neutral as I walk over. She could of easily taken the spot across him him. He doesn't look at me when I stop at the front of the table, which only makes me want to shrink down and cry right here.

"Claire, I forgot I had plans with Nicole today," Conrad says quietly. He doesn't make eye contact with me, and that hurts just as worse as his words.

I'm staring at him when Nicole speaks up. "Yeah, he's going to come shopping with me. I need to get some stuff for the debutant ball, he promised me at the bonfire that he'd come with me." She says. There is a snippy tone in her voice and I don't like it. It's as if she's claiming something that isn't hers to claim.

"Right," I smile. My voice cracked slightly and I can feel the lump forming in my throat. "I have to head out anyways, I have things to do. Thanks for the breakfast Conrad, the coffee was great. Nice to see you again Nicole." I don't have time to process my word vomit before I'm gone. I'm out the door, grabbing my bike and the tears are flowing.

I get one block before I have to stop because I'm crying so hard I can't see. How stupid could I be. Why did I never question if he ended things with her? We never were exclusive or not but with all the sleepovers and him texting I assumed we were. Stupid. So stupid.

I know it's early, it's only 8am. I know he's sleeping but I'm not close to Steven and Belly can't drive on her own yet.

I call the one person I know asleep or not will answer and come and pick me up right now.

I shakily dial his number and sigh in relief when he picks up on the second ring. "Claire?" He mumbles. It sounds like I woke him up. I let out a choked sob, and a series of sniffles trying to calm down enough to even form a sentence but I can't. "Claire?" He says again, but this time more panicked. "Claire what's wrong? What happened?"

"Conrad. Nicole. Donut, together." I'm throwing words out that I know aren't making any sense. I can't form an actual sentence right now, but Jeremiah being the amazing wonderful friend he is figured it out.

"You are by the donut shop and you saw Nicole and Conrad? What the actual fuck," he mumbles. "Claire, I'm on my way just send me your location." I nod although he can't see me. "I'm not hanging the phone up until I get there, okay?" He says. I can hear ruffling on his side of the phone because he's getting ready to come and get me.

"Okay," I sob. "Okay."