t h i r t y - f i v e

"What?" I asks. "What's happening? How are you, you said fourth of —"

    "Where have you been?" Mom asks again cutting off my rambling.

     I look at Conrad and instantly feel sick. I'm going to throw up. Everything I've been managing to keep down all night is bubbling up and I'm going to throw up everywhere.

     "Just a small get together with some of–"

      "Your drunk!" She booms. I shrink back at the loudness in her voice. She's never screamed at me like this before. I've heard her raise her voice directed at my dad this way, but never me. "Nice to see you Conrad, but we're calling it a night. Claire will see you tomorrow, if she isn't grounded for the rest of the summer." She adds.

      "Can I at least walk him out?" I ask, my voice is small and squeaky.

      "Yes," Dad says. It's the first time he's spoken. "But come right back."

      I nod, and quickly turn around walking to the back door. I fly it open with Conrad close behind.

     "I'm gunna die, they're gunna kill me. Why are they here? Conrad they're going to take me home and not let me stay the rest of summer! I can't go home, I can't leave!" I'm panicking. The panic is rising. My heart is beating so fast I can hear it in my ears, and feel it in my head when I press my hand to my forehead. My stomach is churning, and it's taking everything in me to not start hysterically crying on the concrete right now.

       Conrad does what he does best, he doesn't say anything because he doesn't want to lie. He just wraps his arms around me and says the one thing I need to hear in this moment. "As soon as your in your room call me, I'll talk to you till you fall asleep."

      "I'm scared." I whisper.

       "I know, but if you go in there freaking out they will take you home. Remember what I said, we just need to take a breath. Just breathe with me for a second, and then you will go in there with your head held high. On the count of three take a few breathes with me; one, two, three." He sucks a deep dramatic breath in, and I follow in sync. We do this three times before he cups my cheeks to get me to look at him. "You didn't do anything wrong, you're a teenager and we're enjoying your time in a responsible way. You had me as DD and the most important part is you didn't drink and drive. You're aloud to have fun, don't let them make you feel guilty for that."

      I nod into his shoulder. I don't want to let go. I want him with me, but sadly that will make this way worse. They have no idea I'm dating Conrad, but I doubt that they'll believe me if I deny it. I know Mom's probably hiding in the curtains watching us right now. I don't care, because I'm soaking up every second I have with him.

      "I better go," I say.

      He pulls away, rubbing my arms. "You got this, call me before you go to sleep."

      I nod, pressing a quick kiss to his lips. Afraid if I do a moment more I'll beg him to kidnap me and we can run away from everything.

      He did give me the confidence I needed to face them. Dad didn't seem nearly as bad as Mom did. I don't know why she was so angry. It's only 10:30, my curfew at home is midnight — not that I actually ever go anywhere that would require a curfew.

      I close the door, locking it behind me. When I turn around slowly I see Mom sitting at the kitchen island with a glass of wine in her hand. Dad is still standing awkwardly staring back and forth between me and mom on the opposite side of the counter.

      "Why didn't you tell me you guys were coming today?" I asked. "You didn't give me much time to clean."

Dad looked around and smiled to himself. "Claire, the house is spotless," he chuckles.