f i f t y - t w o

Me and Conrad planned to go to the beach today. He went home to shower, while I stayed back at my house to change. I put my hair up in a pony tale, and threw on my favorite high waisted bikini. It's hot pink (duh) with neon flowers on it.

      I slip on a teeshirt of Cons that he left here, with my black Birkenstocks. I stopped trying to wear flip flops years ago because they always end up hurting me more then anything. Sandals are the real way to go.

      I grabbed some snacks, putting in double of everything so I can share with Conrad. Also making sure to pack once sandwich each, just so we don't have to walk all the way back up here for lunch. It may sound small but I make sure to pack my sandwiches so you can eat one to feel full. Filling up two 40 oz metal water bottles, so the water stays cold I decide it's the perfect amount. Sliding my sunglasses on my head I lock the door behind me and start to head over to the Fishers.

       Conrad has an extra chair for me. They always do, and frankly theirs were always better. They have the chairs with the backpack straps on them, with a head hold for tanning. The chair leans back all the way so you can lay on your stomach like a massage chair with you head poking out the hole. They're amazing, I love them.

      Just as I'm about to open the gate, I notice Conrad and the look on his face causes me to stop. He looks upset, but in a way where his anger is taking over and he's going to need a second to himself before I come in. It looks like he's holding a rag, as he stares at, what it looks like, one of the paintings his Mom has been doing all summer. 

      She has been painting everyone. Not that I'm truly sure why, but I feel it would be one of two reasons; her way to spend quality time with everyone, or her final goodbye remembrance that she made these her last summer possibly ever at Cousins.

      I don't know how bad her cancer is. I never wanted to ask Conrad. This is the second time she's gotten it, so I'm assuming it came back stronger the second time around. The thought makes me sick, and I have a feeling this is what Conrad is thinking about too as he shoves the pairing to the ground. 

      I small gasp leaves my lips, as he glares down at the painting. Obvious to me spending just six feet away. He clearly catches himself as he looks around to see if anyone had seen. He didn't see me because I moved. I wanted him to think he had this moment to himself. He will talk to me about what happened in his head when he's ready.

     I give him two minutes before I practically skip into the yard. "Hi, my love!" I grin. Okay, Claire. Take it down a notch.

     "Hey," he smiles. It doesn't reach his eyes.

      "Ready to go to the beach?" I ask.

      He falters, only for a second, before he nods. I nod in return, and turn on my tippy toes back around before he clears his throat. "Claire," he calls out.

      I turn back around, making sure my light smile is still there. That him calling my name and not a nickname like he always does doesn't freak me out.

     "Yes?"

     "Can you just hug me for a second?" His question catches me off guard, but I quickly recover.

      "Of course, you didn't have to ask just throw my shit to the ground and hug me. I think I'd get the hint from that," I joke placing the cooler down.

      He laughs lightly before he comes over and drops his head onto my shoulder. His arms wrap around me, and me pulls me so close that I know this is him opening up to me. We stay like that, for about three minutes before he gives me one last squeeze and lifts his head slowly.

      He cups my cheeks and rubs his thumb softly before he leans in for a gentle kiss. It erupts the butterflies in my stomach. It was so sweet and tender I just wanted to cry.

      I don't want to pull away from his touch yet so I wrap my arms around his waist, laying my head on his chest. "You okay?" I ask.

      "Just in my head today, about my Mom." He mumbles. "I don't want to think about it anymore though."

     "I know. I'm sorry," I say, because I am. "I wish I could do more."

      "You're doing so much more then you even know. Just you knowing has taken off such a weight on my shoulders," he says placing a kiss on my forehead.

     "I know, I just want to do more. I hate that you're hurting," I admit.

     "I know, I'd feel the same way if you were in my shoes. But I promise, you're helping." He says. He gives me on last squeeze before he lets go. "I don't know about you but a beach day will help me!"

      "Oh for sure, I brought my kindle. I just downloaded a new book, im so fricken excited to read it!" I squeal and the quiet tender moment, is replaced with excitement for the beach day.

      "God, I love you my little book worm." He laughs, shaking his head. He scoops up the chairs that we're resting against the steps, he hands me on in return for the cooler.

      "I love you," I say giving his hand a squeeze.

      I love how open Conrad has been. Every time he's upset, it takes him all of five seconds for him to open up. It makes my heart full knowing I've finally cracked him fully. I jog a little to catch up with his long legs, and the second my feet his the hot sand a chill goes down my spine from the suddenness of the heat. The wind is perfect, and the water looks so good.

      We had our moment already. The sadness Conrad felt has passed and a real smile tugs on his lips as he pulls out our towels from my bag and lays them down. It's going to be a good day.

_
Authors note:

I don't know why but I LOVE this chapter. I feel like my writing has gotten a tad bit better