t w e n t y - s e v e n

I didn't go with Belly to pick up Taylor. I wanted them to have their own time together. I'm sitting in the pool floating on my back watching Conrad smoke a joint. I think it's funny because he's hiding in my backyard so his Mom and Laurel can't see him. Although I know they would sure as hell be able to smell him, but thankfully with him hiding I can say it must be people on the beach.

      I already took a few hits of my pen because Conrad's stuff is way to strong for me so I'm chilling, absolutely one with the water right now.

      "Hey Conrad, when you come back over can you turn up the speaker please? And also can you put on Dancing In The Dark by: Rihanna pretty please!" He puts his sunglasses on his head so he can stare at me with wide eyes. I hold a hand up to my lips and let out a small giggle, "oops," I laugh. "Forgot I wasn't supposed to know where you are." His eyes cut to his back door that's opening, and out comes Laurel. I watch as he drops behind the fence so quickly I choke on my laughter by dunking myself under the water to sober up real quick. I stand up pushing the water out of my face and smile at her. "Hey Laurel!"

      She seems surprised to see me here. "Oh hey Claire, I thought you were picking Taylor up with Belly?" She asks.

"No, Jeremiah wanted to take her. I guess to make up for being an ass and not getting her a present," I scoff. Then quickly look at her with wide eyes covering my mouth. "I'm sorry, didn't mean to curse!"

She shakes her head laughing. "You're too funny Claire, you're not my kid. Curse all you want, especially when you're speaking the truth," she looks around as if someone may be listening. Someone is listening, Conrad is listening. "He is an ass for not getting her a present, can you believe he forgot?" She asks. She shakes her head as if to say she can't believe it one bit.

"Nope," I say. "It's very unJere. He loves Belly, it makes no sense!"

"Conrad, where did you come from?" Laurel asks.

"Had to grab a towel for Claire, she forgot her special towel," he says dramatically rolling his eyes.

I scoff and cross my arms. I know he used the towel as a decoy but I do love my towel. It was $20, so 1) I try to make use of my money and 2) it dries so fast so I'm not wrapped with a wet towel. I had no idea I actually forgot my towel, I think I'm used to not using a towel because it's been so hot this summer that I dry suntanning before I even get a chance to use my towel.

"Can you play the song I asked you to play before you got my towel, please!" I grin.

"Anything else, princess?" Conrad grins. The nickname was a joke but the way it rolled off his tongue made my stomach erupt in butterflies. Especially because Laurel is smiling widely looking between us. "All jokes aside do you need water or anything? I feel like I haven't seen you drink water all day you're going to get a migraine."

"You two are so cute, I actually can't stand it." Laurel says.

Conrad looks at her and smiles. It's so pure, and his dimple is showing which is how I know it's real. "That actually means so much coming from you Laure," Conrad smiles wider.

Laurel holds a hand to her chest and stares at him for a moment. I know what she's thinking, this is a glimpse of the old Conrad. Belly told me that Conrad is very quiet around everyone else when I'm not around. He doesn't laugh or joke like he does with me. He's tense and on edge and always lost in thought. I think Laurel is appreciating the moment.

      "I'll let you two be," she says quietly as she excuses herself into the house.

     Conrad walks over to the pool and grabs my face squishing it. "You almost blew my cover with your fricken laughing!" He groans placing a kiss on my lips. I giggle and I know I must look so stupid to him right now, but he doesn't seem to mind. "I almost choked on the smoke because I was trying so hard not to laugh when you cursed in front of Laurel!" He says, letting my face go.

      "Conrad," I gasp. "I was so scared. Seriously I thought she was going to yell at me."

      He laughs, throwing my towel on the chair and grabs my phone. "I know," he laughs. "I could picture your face," the song Dancing In The Dark starts blasting through the speakers and I squeal pushing myself back into the water. 

      Conrad smiles watching me for a moment before he jumps in beside me. I wrap my legs around his waste letting him spin me in circles as I lay back in the water and shout the lyrics as loud as humanly possible.

      Moments like this made the wait for Conrad so worth it. I've never been more happy in this moment. I sit up and kiss him because I want too, and because I finally just can.