f o r t y - e i g h t

I went on five interviews in the last two days. The first family was asking for way too much. Expecting me to do everyone's laundry (not just the kids), working 10 hours five days a week, no phones (they said I had to work it it in a box when I came in?), and so much more for only $12 an hour.

The second family wasn't paying enough. They offered me $10 an hour for three kids. They seemed nice but again, three kids is a lot and from what I read up on three kids = a minimum of $18 an hour.

The third, not enough money. The fourth, I just got bad vibes overall. I am walking up to house five. I feel a bit defeated, and I'm wondering if I'm asking for too much — I wanted a chill three-four says a week maybe six hours a day? I take the kids to the park, or the beach — not be an underpaid maid by doing everyone's laundry and cleaning up after not only the kids but the parent stop.

"You must be, Claire. Hello, come in!" Maria, the mother I'm interviewing with smiles, opening the door so I can come in.

      From the outside it seems like the topical beach house but from the inside it looks more like my house back in Jersey and not here. I wonder if they live here all year round, instead of just summers.

      "Hi, yes I am. Maria, right?" I ask as I slip my flip flops off, not wanting to track anything inside.

      "Yes! I'm so happy to meet you, it's been a kinda hectic summer, and we need help as soon as possible. My husband, Dylan just got a new job. Involves a lot of traveling, and I work remote, part time, so it's hard to find time to entertain the kids when I'm in meetings all day. Here come in! Sit, then we can chat!" She smiles, gesturing to their living area.

      I take a seat on their couch, as Maria sits opposite from me in an arm chair. "Obviously it's super quiet right now," she laughs. "Dylan is actually home today so I had him take the kids to the beach so I could actually sit and get to know you."

      I laugh quietly, nodding. "Your house is beautiful. It kind of reminds me of my house back at home. Do you guys live here all year round?" I ask, voicing my earlier thoughts to make conversation.

      "Yes!" She grins. "We moved here two years ago, but have been coming here since we were even first dating six years ago. I love the area so much that we decided to start a life here once we got married two years ago. I don't really plan on leaving anytime soon."

      "That's so cool, I'd love to live here all year round, it must be so quiet during the winter."

      "It is so quiet. The first year it honestly took me by surprise. I was newly pregnant with my oldest, Sam, he's four now, and Dylan was traveling a lot for work. It was really lonely, and took a bit to get used too. Now I crave that silence and by the time summers over I'm so excited to have the town back to the locals," she pauses and her eyes widen. "No offense!"

I laugh quietly, before shaking my head to let her know I wasn't offended in the slightest. "None taken, you're good. I've been coming here since I was born, so this is kind of my home away from home."

"Perfect so you know all the parks and kiddy stuff around?" She asks.

      "Of course! The park on Market Drive with the giant dinosaur was my favorite spot as a kid."

      "Oh! My kids love that park. The amount of times Sam begs to go there, his poor sister is absolutely sick of the place. Not to mention she's terrified of the Dino," she sighs shaking her head. "Anyways, tell me about yourself," she says leaning back into the chair.

And so I do.

authors note:
sorry it's been awhile guys. I was so busy at work during the holidays that i have been on my phone maybe an hour of everyday 🙂 gunna try to update more.