f i f t y - f i v e

I cup a hand over my mouth to compress my giggles. "Jeremiah!" I whisper. I tap his arm, and he stirs slightly. "Jeremiah!" I whisper again. "Wake up!" I clap and he snaps up.

"Claire?" He mumbles, his head drops onto my hand that is holding the edge of the bed. "What the hell? Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Come with me," I say, tugging on his arm. "Please trust me."

He reluctantly does, reaching for the hoodie that's on his dresser. "Are we going outside?" He asks.

I smile, realizing he'd follow me into total blindness if it meant he was protecting me. "Yep."

He tosses the hoodie over his head, and lets out a small chuckle shaking his head. "Let's go girl, always dragging me on adventures." He says grabbing my hand.

Jeremiah was my first friend is Cousins. He's always been my best friend, one that shines brighter then my other friend ships. When we were younger I felt like an outsider at Cousins. Neither of my parents are close with their siblings so no one ever came to visit us. It was always me, my mom, my dad, and their work. There was never not a time in my life when my parents were working. Vacations, birthday parties, once I even saw my mom working at a funeral.

I had always seen the kids in the yard over playing, and felt less alone. They had a giant pool, constant revolving door of people but the ones who lived there were Susannah. It's her house, and we've talked a few times just waving if one of us is in the front yard. Her friend, who's name I don't know — her two kids; Belly and Steven. I didn't know Belly's real name until a month after we met because that's what she always was called. Lastly there was Jeremiah and Conrad.

Jeremiah was alone one day swimming in the pool. He saw me in my backyard, mainly because I was trying to get his attention and keep reminding him I was still there by making noises. We don't have a pool. It was hot. Jeremiah invited me over and the rest is history.

That first summer we'd sneak out every morning to watch the sunrise. One particular time we saw dolphins. This morning, there is also dolphins and I want to give back to him after everything he's done for me this summer and show him I still cherish our friendship all the same.

I feel that although I'm in a relationship, friendships like the one I have with Jeremiah need to be prioritized. I've been distant and distracted with Conrad lately. When I saw the dolphin I knew I had to grab him.

      I'm giggling as we reach the shore, and sure enough the dolphins are still there. I almost forget that I have a blanket set up right around the corner. I give him one last pull and the second he sees my set up he grins, pulling me into his side. He rest his head on top of mine, "thank you, C."

"Anytime, I miss you." I say giving his hand a squeeze. "I just want you to see that I still care about you. Always."

"I know you do. We're just getting busy, that's all."

"Movie night soon?" I ask.

He wraps his arms around my shoulder, "move night soon." He agreed.

We move to sit down, but we never let go of one another. His hand is still cupping mine, and it feels like we're kids again. I can't help but smile.

"I'm really happy for you, you know." Jere said breaking the silence. "But can I tell you something?" He says looking nervous.

"Yeah, what's up?" I ask. He turns so he's facing me, I angle my body so I can face him too. He's smiling now, but it isn't reaching his eyes. "What's wrong?" I ask. "is this how you feel everytime I call you because I get it now."

"Probably," he agrees. "No but I am gunna tell you something that has to stay between us. No one can know, especially Conrad."

"You and Belly are dating," I gasp. "Jeremiah, please tell me you and Belly are dating!" His face instantly turns a beat red and I want to scream for joy. "Jeremiah! I'm so happy for you oh my god!" I say tackling him into a hug.

"I asked her last night after our date. It just seemed right. I've known Belly forever and everyone can see we have something. I can't stop the magnetic pull."

       "Damn right! I've been telling you this for years. I'm so excited. Why can't I tell Conrad?" I ask.

      "I just don't want things to change yet." He says quietly. "Right now we can do our thing, but when everyone knows and they start making comments — I'm afraid she'll want to back out."

"I get it. Thank you for trusting me, I promise to keep your secret. Always."

"I love you, but I will love you so much more if you have weed on you right now," he grins.

"We'll," I shrug. "Do I ever leave the house without it?" I pause for dramatic effect. I reach into my bag real fast and grab out my pen. "Nope, so you must love me a whole bunch today."

He snatches it from you, "I do trust me. I'm gunna buy you a muffin and coffee today for breakfast. You're welcome," he says taking a long hit.

"Woo, coffee sounds great right now!" I groan.

"Let's wait awhile, it's quiet right now. I like it," he says as he leans back onto the blanket to look up at the sky.

I join him. Putting an arm under my head for support. "Okay," I say and snatch my pen back.

When I look over at him, he's smiling. It warms my heart to know that him and Belly are finally together. I can't wait until Conrad does know because double dates will be so much fun.

••
authors note:

I will be going back and editing this but I needed to get you guys a new chapter out !