s i x t y

"I'm Susannah Fisher. Chair of the clubs community service board, and I am delighted to welcome you to Play It Forward."

Somehow a month passed by without us knowing, and we're down to two more special events, one more weekend after that and summers over. Back to our real lives. Right now we're at the volleyball fundraiser for the Deb girls.

"You know as my mother used to say if you're lucky enough to be at the beach, you're lucky enough. And we are very fortunate indeed. Which why in the spirit of fun and friendly competition it is time to open our hearts, and wallets," she grins and everyone laughs, "and give back to those who may not be as fortunate! We have teams raising money for homelessness, women's shelters, environmental causes, and many more. And play it forward will match pledges for the winner of the tournament! Please donate generously and with that, I say let the games begin!" She cheers getting the crowd to cheer with her.

Belly is teamed up with Taylor, a last minute decision. Belly was supposed to be teamed up with Jeremiah until about a week ago something happened with Belly and Jeremiah. Neither of them will talk to me about it, but both have openly been moping around since.

Belly hip bumps me, to get my attention. "That trophy is mine," Belly says pointing at it.

Conrad grins, and nods his head in the direction of two girls next to us. "Watch out for those two, her spike is lethal." He says and then walks away.

      I watch as Belly's face grows serious. I play a hand on her arm and point a thumb at Conrad before I jog up to catch up to him, laughing slightly. "Why did you do that, now you have her nervous."

      "It's funny," he shrugs chuckling to himself.

      "You're horrible," I say shoving his side.

      He grabs onto my arm and wraps an arm around my shoulder pulling me into him. He places a kiss on my forehead, before he stops walking abruptly pulling me back to him.

      "You want a drink?" He asks. "You're looking a little red, oh wait," he pauses. "Sorry, that must be because of me," he says palming his forehead. I scrunch up my eyebrows in confusion, "you know, because I make you blush," he says explaining his joke.

      On any other person this type of comment I would of cringed so hard at that, and wanted to punch them in the gut. With Conrad, all I want to do is pull him down to me and kiss the bell out of him. She's so corny, but I love his goofy side. The butterflies in my stomach stir, and I can't stop myself when I pull him down to kiss me.

      He gives me a peck back, because we are currently walking. "You're corny, but I do want some water though."

      "Anything for my girl, I'll be right back."

     Belly and Taylor are up first, so I want to get a good spot. I see Jeremiah standing alone, close enough to the drinks that Conrad would see me. Maybe this will give me a chance to see how he's really doing.

      As I'm walking over I see Belly and Taylor's handshake, and it's seriously so impressive. I laugh to myself as Belly backs up and says "play sharp, play smart." In her competitive way.

     I nudge Jeremiah's shoulder, "hey, do you come around here often?" I joke.

      He looks down at me, a soft smile on his lips. No humor in his eyes. "Hey," he says.

      "You okay? You didn't even fake flirt back, that's very unjere like." I say leaning on the railing next to him.

      His eyes drift to the game going on in front of us. Belly and Taylor have a good dynamic, they work well together. I don't doubt it's because they play together at school, but it's awesome to see how in sync they are. The communication is everything.

      But Jeremiah isn't watching what I'm watching. His eyes are fixed on Belly. "No," he admits. "I'm not okay."

      Just then Conrad comes up and hands me my water, causing Jeremiah to visibly stiffen and I know to put a pin in the conversation and finish it later when we can be alone again.

      "Let's go team Belly!" Conrad claps just as Belly hits it over and the other team lets it drop.

      Just then Taylor dives for a ball and falls. It wasn't a fall that would hurt anything, yet she stands up limping. "It's my ankle." She says putting no weight on it.

      "You okay, Taylor?" Jeremiah calls out.

      "I just like twisted it," she groans. Belly helps her stand up, "can you sub please?" She calls out to Jeremiah.

      "Yeah," he says quickly. "Yeah. Yeah," he says jogging over.

      I grin to myself, because as Taylor limps over I see a smile on her face. She's faking, it was a set up. "You need ice?" I ask once she's standing next to me.

      "No, I'll be okay." She says.

       "Mhmm," I nod, smiling.

      "Don't blow my cover, Claire!" She groans but she has a smile on her face. "What can you blame me for being team Jelly?"

      "No, it was smart."

*  *  *

      Jeremiah and Belly have made it to the final round, and ironically enough they're going against Shayla and Steven. I hold onto Conrad's arm, excited from all the tension from the day. It's been close a few times but Jeremiah and Belly are in sync just as well as Belly and Taylor if not better. I can see the tension between the two of them devolving more and more with each passing game.

      As far they are tied. 16 to 16 and Belly is serving, neither Steven nor Shayla are able to reach it and another point for Team Belly.

      I let out a loud cheer, jumping in my spot. Half because of the game, but half because belly and Jeremiah's hands are locked and they are staring intently at each other as he whispers something to her and she nods as if lost in his eyes, grinning.

      A few more points are scored and it's now 20-19 if Shayla and Steven score one more they'd go on again and again. I'm hoping they finally end it because I'm seriously on the edge of my seat. Jeremiah sets the balls for Belly as Steven runs up to the net. I'm half hiding behind conrad, too scared to look so I'm peaking out of one eye when Belly spikes it perfect causing her and Jere to be the winners.

      Belly jumps into Jeremiah's arms cheering. He spins her around as she laughs, and my heart swells. I cheer with the rest of the crowd as Conrad claps next to me. He is smiling but he isn't staring at Belly and Jere he's smiling at me.

      "You're adorable," he mouths at me.

      "I love you," I mouth back.

       I turn my head just in time to see Susannah run over with the trophy in her hands, hugging the two winners. Jeremiah's smile is real, and so is Belly's deep down I am praying that today mended things.