Chapter 1

ABOVE is how Cinnabar Mark looks like....

PLEASE IGNORE ALL MISTAKES

Chapter 1.

'It feels so cold,' he thought, his consciousness adrift in a sea of darkness. His eyelids felt sewn shut, his body estranged from his mind.

'Where am I?' His voice sounded muffled, as if he were speaking through layers of water.

"Do you wish to survive?" A soft woman's voice cut through the murkiness, startling him.

Confusion swirled within him, barely able to muster a whispered "Yes" in response.

"Don't worry, my dear, you will be fine." Her words, comforting yet enigmatic, were the last he heard before silence enveloped him, and the oppressive darkness began to recede.

As awareness crept back, the chill of the floor seeped into his consciousness. Near his left hand, a dried stain of blood marked the tile — stark evidence of a forgotten trauma. His wrist throbbed dully, mirroring the pulse of his quickening heart. His eyelids twitched, betraying the restless movement of his eyes beneath.

"Jae soo!"

The sharp knocks jolted him further into awareness, echoing inside the cramped space.

"Knock! Knock!"

"Jae soo!" The voice was more insistent now, threaded with concern.

"Yeah," Kim Jae soo croaked, his voice hoarse and unfamiliar even to his own ears. The urgency in the knocking subsided, replaced by a light-hearted chide from the other side of the door.

"Okay, you've been in there for over an hour. Are you trying to turn into a shrimp?" Laughter followed, a brief respite from the tension.

"Okay," Jae soo murmured, a faint acknowledgment as he scanned the bathroom.

It was both familiar and alien. The confines of the small space — a shower partitioned by a sliding tinted glass door from the toilet — seemed to close in on him. He tried to stand, a sharp pain lancing through his left wrist, halting his movement. In his right hand, he felt the unexpected prickle of something sharp.

Memories long buried surged forth, snapping him out of his daze. Each fragmented recollection pieced together a puzzle he wasn't sure he wanted to solve.

These were his darkest days, weighed down by a depression that clung to him as tightly as his own skin. Jae Soo's cheeks, plump like dumplings, and the soft curves of his body drew unwelcome attention and derision, especially from those he called friends. They were paragons of beauty—sharp cheekbones and slender frames, many flaunting their cinnabar marks with pride. In their company, Jae Soo felt like an aberration, his presence only serving to accentuate their coveted aesthetics.

Whenever they gathered, his so-called friends would invite him along, only to abandon him the moment someone offered them a drink. Left alone in the crowd, he became a backdrop against which they shined even brighter.

His depression was compounded by guilt over his demands on his mother—a woman who gave much, despite having little. Looking back, Jae Soo regretted his ingratitude, recognizing too late the worth of his selfless mother.

On this particular day, the weight of his reflections was heavier than usual. He stared at his reflection in the mirror: puffy eyes and a pale face marked by recent tears. Today was the day he had been rejected by his ex-husband, ridiculed by his superficial friends, and painfully aware of his unrequited affection for Baek Ji Hu, the school's golden boy.

Baek Ji Hu was everything Jae Soo was not. As the top student of their faculty and the epitome of desirability, he possessed a charm that seemed to draw everyone to him. He was the school prince, blessed with a flawless pedigree, an impeccable academic record, and an athletic prowess that made him the envy of many. His looks alone could turn any head, but his closeness with Choi Su-jin, the school's beloved flower, placed him on a pedestal that seemed unattainable. Around him [Baek Ji Hu], girls and gers fluttered like bees around a honeycomb, each drawn by his allure but none quite reaching him.

Sighing softly, Jae Soo rinsed the dried blood from his wrist, then methodically cleaned the floor. He tossed the razor into the trash with a finality that felt like shedding a part of himself. From the first aid kit tucked under the mirror, he retrieved band-aids and carefully sealed the wound—both physical and metaphorical.

He paused, taking a deep breath to steady his heart. In the quiet of the bathroom, memories he wished to forget flooded back, yet this time, something was different. It was as if he had been granted a second chance, reborn as a sophomore in college, now gazing at his reflection not with scorn but with a tentative acceptance.

Examining his body, Jae Soo found a new perspective. His skin was clear, his eyes a warm light brown that shimmered with intelligence, his nose small and pointed, and his lips, pink and full, yet modest in size. These features, once a source of shame, now seemed genuinely adorable. He realized there was nothing inherently wrong with his appearance; the flaws had always been in the eyes of the beholder.

Determined to escape the clutches of depression, he resolved to live fully, not just for himself but for his mother. He wanted to be the best son possible to the woman who had given him nothing but unconditional love.

Stepping out of the bathroom, Jae Soo ensured everything was back in its place, a symbolic gesture of putting his life in order. He faced his three roommates, who looked back at him with a mix of concern and curiosity. They, too, were gers, but none fit the stereotype of the fragile, damsel in distress. Their varied expressions reflected their own complex stories and struggles.

Jae Soo stood quietly, the gravity of his previous life's missteps weighing heavily on his shoulders. He had been granted an unusual second chance: after dying, he had somehow traveled back in time, reincarnated as his younger self, a sophomore in college. This miraculous twist of fate offered him a rare opportunity to mend the errors of his past, beginning with how he had treated his roommates.

In his first life, Jae Soo scorned these same individuals for their authenticity and indifference to societal beauty standards. His arrogance had been blinding, prioritizing superficial allure over genuine human connection. He vividly remembered how, during a crisis, these roommates—the very people he had once deemed unworthy—had been the ones to rush him to the infirmary after finding him unresponsive in the bathroom after Baek Ji Hu rejected him. Despite his disdain for them, they had cared for his well-being, a kindness he had not reciprocated at the time.

The aftermath of that day had been tumultuous. As he was carried from the dorm, rumors spiraled wildly out of control. The school's micro-blog exploded with speculations and images, framing his personal tragedy as sensational gossip: 'A sophomore ger named Kim Jae soo was rejected and couldn't handle it, so he killed himself.'

Humiliated and overwhelmed, Jae Soo had fled to his mother's home in his first life, wrongly blaming her for his woes, escaping a situation he had partly created through his own failings.

Now, back in his younger body but with the wisdom of his painful experiences, Jae Soo faced his roommates with a humble heart.

"Are you all right?" The room captain's peach blossom eyes were filled with concern as they fixed on Jae Soo.

"Yes, I'm fine," Kim Jae managed a small smile, tugging his black sweater sleeve down to conceal the band-aids. His other two roommates exchanged glances, a silent agreement passing between them—there was something peculiar about Jae today.

He had declined their dinner invitation earlier, opting to stay in the room alone. Despite his refusal, they had kindly offered to bring back something for him, knowing he hadn't left the hostel since his return.

"Thank you," he whispered, gratitude softening his voice but not alleviating the worry in their eyes.

'Did heartbreak scramble his thoughts?' they wondered silently as they left the room.

Short note:
Cinnabar marks shows the level of fertility depending on how dark it is... And it can be found on any part of the Gers and females bodies.

I'm sorry for the late update.... The former chapters caused me to almost break my brain researching and experiencing writer's block. But I'm back now thank you for waiting ☺️