Chapter Five.

Having all of this time to think only made you confused. On the one hand, you understood the seriousness of your situation and knew that you should try to escape, but on the other, you didn't want to. His words played in your head.

There is something so pure about you. I want to keep you close, protect you. My job is to take care of you!

You knew that this sentiment could be a ploy, but you were so willing to believe what others told you. Your innocence blinded you to the point of irrationality. It made your emotions, thoughts, and hobbies like those of a child. You were overly sensitive, your thoughts were always in bright color, and you enjoyed things like stuffed animals, playing pretend, and of course magic. The trust that you had in people was your greatest asset, but also your greatest weakness.

You heard the door open. It was him. You were torn between being stricken with fear and happy to have company.

"I have a surprise for you, sweet girl."

He sounded cheerful. A stark contrast from the stern tone that he had earlier.

"I have a feeling it's something you'll like."

He sat next to you and revealed the surprise. A coloring book and a box of crayons! You put your hands over your mouth as you looked at him in disbelief.

"Oh, my goodness, thank you!"

You pulled the man into a hug. He tensed under your touch, but you didn't notice because of how happy you were.

"I'm glad you like it little one. I'll be going upstairs now. Enjoy it."

He stood up, patted your head, and left the room. With your stuffed puppy friend and new coloring book you felt like you had everything that you could ever want even in a situation like this. You immediately got to work coloring a page and before you knew it you were done! You wanted to go upstairs and show the man. You ran to the door and noticed that it was unlocked. You thought nothing of it as you jogged up the stairs, picture in hand. You opened the door and what was waiting for you made you stop in your tracks.