𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 18

"It never gets quieter," I thought, sitting at the usual seat by the window within the lunchroom. The sunlight poured into the lunchroom, brightening the tiled floor by the window to blind anyone that even dared to look in its gaze. My eyes caught glimpse of someone walking towards me, my head tilting up towards the figures. Across the room was Janine, a bright smile lighting up the room alongside her golden hair in comparison to the sunlight. But alongside her was another person, oddly familiar but yet distant in my mind.

Upon Janine and I making eye contact, her grin grew even wider before she rushed towards me.

"Kev! I made a new friend! Is it alright if she sits with us?" Janine asked, dropping her stuff to the ground before sitting beside me.

"Yeah sure, I don't see a problem with it," I replied, looking back up to the stranger that stood before us. The sudden image of her brown eyes mixed with the light grey jacket struck a sudden revelation within my mind. "Hey, you're the girl from the bus."

"Oh, uh, yeah," the girl whispered, quickly sitting down beside Janine. Janine swiftly caught glimpse of the notion that her and I had met before, swiftly turning towards me.

"You know her?" Janine questioned; her grin gone with the wind.

"Oh yeah, sorta. She sits on my bus," I explained, the girl popping her head out from behind Janine's shoulder. Her light brown eyes stared at the two of us, watching our conversation unfold.

"That's cool! I met her today and we just started talking," Janine explained with a wide grin, turning back towards her. "Right Emily?" Eyes wide with shock, she nodded her head quietly.

"What grade is she?" I asked, trying to get to know her more. Janine leaned back, holding onto the table tightly as she did so that Emily and I could face each other. Suddenly realizing what was happening, she sat there nervously, staring at me with wide eyes.

"I'm a junior," she explained quietly, looking back towards Janine with worry. It were as though she was begging for help within the notions of her expression.

"Oh cool!" I replied, smiling towards her as Janine raised herself forward.

"Yeah, she's the same grade as us," Janine replied, her jovial grin widening as we continued to talk to each other.

"Is physics going alright?" I questioned, Janine groaning in agony as she pulled out her lunch box.

"It doesn't get better," she stated, unzipping the lunch box before pulling out the ham sandwich. Taking a quick bite out of it, I noticed Emily popping around Janine, her head poking past Janine towards me.

"I'm somewhat good at physics if you guys need help?" Emily explained, a weak smile forming across her face as I looked away from Janine and towards Emily.

"Really? I think the two of us could use assistance if you don't mind," I replied, watching her eyes brighten.

"Yes!" Janine exclaimed, the sudden brightness in Emily's eyes disappearing in a flash. It occurred to me that Emily seemed a little shy around people, a hint of awkwardness coming from her tone as she spoke to us.

"Do you guys, uh, want to talk about it now or?" Emily asked, reaching down to her dark grey bag.

"Nah, lunch is supposed to be a time of fun and joy, not freaking physics work," Janine proclaimed, her voice sounding defeated towards the end of her claim.

"Oh... okay," Emily began, her voice lowering alongside the motions of placing her bag on the ground.

"Hey, I'm off tonight if you guys are available, maybe we can exchange numbers and work together?" I offered, watching Janine's head perk up.

"Yeah! Let's do that," Janine exclaimed, my eyes wandering from her and onwards towards Emily.

"Is that cool with you?" I questioned, Emily sitting there nervously. There was a long pause between the three of us before Emily pulled out her phone.

"Yeah," she replied quietly, opening her contacts to show us her number. Pulling out our phones, the two of us added her number to our phone, sending assuring texts that we had it.

"Thanks," Janine happily said, taking another bite from her sandwich. Pulling back her dark grey phone, Emily lifted it towards her, revealing the open back of the case. There was a plastic covering on the back of her case, revealing the phone from underneath. My eyes caught glimpse of something though, a strange collage of colors with a pale white rim around it.

"What's that?" I questioned, pointing towards her case. Bringing it close to her, she turned the phone over to see what I was talking about.

"You mean this?" she asked, placing the phone upside down on the table to reveal the back of it. Scooting it to the middle, it revealed a vibrant image of what seemed to be a popstar. The vibrant blues and oranges mixed with the shades of yellow along it made the picture stand out.

"Woah, you drew that?" Janine asked, looking up from the picture towards Emily.

"Yeah, I did," Emily mumbled, a slight red tint popping across her light tan face. "You like it?"

"I love it! That looks amazing," Janine exclaimed, her eyes brightening with wonder as she looked over the small piece of paper. "It's so cute, who is it supposed to be?"

"I just tried to make a cool picture of one of my favorite artists," Emily whispered, her face growing redder from the compliments. "It's supposed to be Xclaimd."

"You like him to!" Janine continued, Emily's face forming a slight, nervous grin.

"Yeah," she said, her voice rising in tone as Janine continued to admire the drawing.

"I like it to, although I don't really know who that is," I awkwardly responded, grabbing the attention of Janine.

"How do you not know who that is?" Janine exclaimed, looking down at her phone. "He made such hits like Wonder, Heart's Open, and Happily Ever After."

"Oh, Happily Ever After is one of my favorites," Emily proclaimed, her grin widening as the three of us grew closer.

"Same, his voice was so beautiful in that song." Placing her hand against her forehead, Janine leaned back slightly. "I would probably die if I saw him." With a chuckle, Emily nodded her head in agreement. Turning her attention towards me, Emily questioned my music taste.

"Oh, one of my favorites is Blue Voice, but I also like ShadowedRoom," I explained, Janine shooting forward, her green eyes taking captive mine.

"Blue Voice is awesome, but you're so edgy for liking ShadowedRoom," she claimed, Emily nervously looking towards her.

"I like ShadowedRoom though and neither of us are really edgy," she stated, Janine's focus switching between Emily and I rapidly.

"I guess the two of you are right," she explained, her voice sounding defeated. The sudden sound of the bell ringing knocked us out of our debate, Emily and I shooting up with our bags while Janine threw her things together.

"Does eight sound good with everyone?" I asked, Emily nodding her head as Janine shot up, swinging her bag around her back.

"Yeah, lets do that!" Janine exclaimed, her wide grin taking form as her and Emily went towards the crowd.

"Bye everyone!" I called out, waving to the two of them. Emily turned back, waving to me with a slight grin as Janine did a full one-eighty.

"Bye!" she exclaimed, waving towards me widely before turning back around. My footsteps were light, as though there were feathers underneath them. I enjoyed having lunch with her, and now that Emily joined our small group, it seemed as though things would only get better.