𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 28

The cold breeze of September twenty-eighth stood around me as I waited outside, anticipating the moment Janine would drive within the parking lot of my job. I sat there, my work shirt and hat beside me as I watched the cars drive down the road, the hum of the moving vehicles filling the air around me. Looking down at my phone, I read the text she had sent me just a few minutes prior.

"Hey, I got Emily, I'll be there in a few minutes," the message stated, my phone suddenly turning black as I pressed the power button, closing my screen. Looking up from my phone, I noticed a light grey car pulling into the parking lot, the wheels turning to enter a parking spot that looked towards my direction. Suddenly, something popped out of the window, its beautiful blonde hair glistening in the sunlight. With a white grin, a high-pitched voice called out to me.

"Kevin! Get in!" Janine called out, a mess of black hair popping out the back seat window.

"Hi Kev!" Emily called out, a joyful grin forming across her face. Quickly standing up, I was in the passenger seat of her car in a fraction of a second, cheerfully sitting beside Janine as we began moving.

"How was work?" Janine questioned, driving down the road alongside a multitude of other cars.

"Dude it was so busy," I replied, sighing as I rested my body on the leather seat. "I'm exhausted."

"Too exhausted for a concert?" Emily joked, leaning her head in between the two seats.

"Not at all. I'm so excited!" Pulling onto the highway, the speed of our vehicle dramatically increased alongside our jovial spirits. Minutes went by as we made our way towards Atlanta, further towards a night that would forever change our lives.

"Hey, so what are you working on now Emily?" Janine questioned, her eyes maintaining focus on the road as the three of us sat in the car.

"I'm working on a landscape piece," she replied, "I think its going to be called Stargazing." For a split second, I could sense the utter surprise in Janine's expression when she said that.

"Oh really? Have you ever stargazed before?"

"No, but I want to though," Emily replied excitedly, my eyes turning back towards the two of them. I silently listened to their conversation, curiosity striking my mind as I sat there.

"You want to go together sometime?" Janine offered, Emily gasping in surprise.

"Wait, you mean it?" she asked, to which Janine nodded her head with a wide smile.

"Yeah, Kevin can come too if he wants," Janine offered, taking a quick glance towards me.

"I'd love to," I replied with a jovial grin, my eyes watching Janine as her smile grew warmer. Placing my hand in my right pocket, I quietly scouted for something. The sudden cold metal of the necklace sat against the skin of my fingers, a slight grin forming across my face as I felt it. "What have you guys been up to today?"

"I've just been drawing my landscape and doing sketches of requested drawings," Emily explained, my head turning back towards her.

"Oh really? What have people been asking you to draw lately?"

"Mostly their avatars in roleplay campaigns or something along those lines, simple sketches of people that I can get done relatively quickly," she stated, a slight forming across her face as she spoke of the beauty within her artwork. "But don't get me wrong, I love doing it."

"I'm glad you have something you love doing," Janine said, our heads turning towards her as she spoke. "It's so fun finding something that you passionately strive to get amazing at."