𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 20

I was bored. The light grey room mixed with the grey clouds of the outside world left me in a certain dull state of mind. It was as though I was adrift in the wonders of nothingness, left only to wonder what I should do to pass by the time. I knew Janine was working right now, but I still wanted to hang out with her. Sitting at the desk within my room, I opened my phone and went on social media, scrolling through the different posts about art and painting and such.

It fascinated me how someone could create such beauty out of virtually nothing. A few colors, a pale white canvas, and a brush, and you could make something magnificent. But alas, I never really had the drive to learn it. It would be a lot of fun, sure, but I just never got around to wanting to create one of these wonders. But yet, here I was, bored and alone left with nothing but hours to spare.

As I scrolled past these different art pieces though, there was a strange spark in me. A small flame conjured by the power of the soul, able to develop such beauty out of the notions within my mind. Closing the app, I went into my contacts, scrolling down until I saw Emily. Pressing the small text box button, our chat history opened, devoid of any life.

"Hey, what are you up to?" I typed out, the clicking of the letters on my keypad echoing through the room before sending the message. Pressing the small button on the side, I closed my phone before placing it on my desk. From there, I was left in silence except for the whirring of the fan above the center of my room. My eyes quietly wandered around, looking at the different paintings and figurines that sat on my shelf.

My phone made a sudden vibration, knocking me out of this out-of-world state of mind and bringing me back to reality, lifting my phone before tapping the black screen twice. Opening up, I noticed the small chat bubble from Emily.

"Just drawing, you?" she asked, prompting me to push past the lock screen.

"Sitting here bored. Do you paint?" I questioned, placing my phone back down before getting up. Pushing the chair back, I took a couple of steps towards the closet, feeling the cold metal knob before twisting it. With a loud creak, the closet door opened, revealing the mess of an inside within its walls. Silently, I took a step within the darkness, pushing back several shirts I owned to see the white shelves on the other side. From the outside world, I could hear my phone making a vibration sound.

Ignoring it, I looked past the wall of shirts to find something. My eyes darting across the almost empty shelf, I noticed the small stack of books within the corner where the two shelves met. Reaching towards the top shelf, I grabbed the dark green notebook before exiting the closet, closing the door behind me. Placing the notebook on my desk, I quietly sat down in the black chair before grabbing ahold of my phone.

"Yeah, I paint. Why do you ask?" Emily questioned, my fingers tapping away at the small keyboard along my phone screen.

"Well, I have always had an interest in painting and drawing and I was wondering if you could teach me a few things. I know about values and different mediums, but I just want to learn a few new techniques to try and get better," I explained, pressing the small paper airplane button. In the flash of a second, the bright blue message bubble popped onto the screen, showing that the message had been sent. Closing my phone screen, I placed it on my desk before opening the notebook, revealing the memories within it. Flipping through the pages, it was like watching history go by before your eyes.

As I flipped through the pages, the images within it became more refined, much clearer drawings then the last. With the last page flipping, I was about halfway through the notebook before a blank sheet of paper popped up before my eyes, my phone vibrating on the desk.