Chapter Twenty-one: Unforeseen Circumstances

She sat still, the grass swayed slowly tickling the tips of her fingers. "I'm totally in one of those weird dream like state things." Her voice was light and filled with amusement. "Am I dead for real this time?" She questions the man starring down at her. He chuckled before sitting down so they were side by side. "You, Rose Amari; are the only woman I have met that thinks in such a peculiar way."

"It's a blessing and a curse." She chuckled, laying down in the overgrown grass. Turning to the side, she rested her head on the palm of her right hand looking up at him with curiosity. "What is this place to you?"

He laid down, flat on his back looking up at the sunset sky. The various colors weaving through each other like something out of a painting. "What? You don't know what this means to me already? I thought you knew everything. That is why you ran out earlier, wasn't it?"

She sucked in a breath, the embarrassment returning to her like a bad cold. "Like I explained earlier, if I change things, new things will happen. This never happened in the original storyline, because Phoebe, nor I were here to change things."

She went back to laying on her back, her fingers intertwining, folding around each other to distract herself from the sudden awkwardness. He glanced down at her hands, a small smile appearing on his face.

"Whenever Klaus would dagger me, my mind would come here." He began, changing the subject. "In the beginning I wasn't sure the reasoning behind it. I eventually figured out what this place meant to me."

Phoebe's Point Of View:

I had searched the entire spell book, and still found nothing. There wasn't anything on a black substance that burned someone's skin. Why wasn't there something, anything? Rose was in so much pain, and it was all my fault! If I had just told her to come home instead of staying in the Vampire Diaries, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I threw the book onto my bed out of frustration. I had just noticed that she had stopped screaming. I couldn't figure out if it was a good thing or a bad thing. Could she be dead?

No! Focus! If I couldn't find a spell in the book, then I would just have to wing it. Walking out of my room I quickly made my way into her room. My eyes immediately went to her pale figure on the bed, Elijah cradling her head in his lap. A smile broke out on my face, but that wasn't the point!

"Undo!" I commanded, holding my hand out in her direction. Slowly the black substance disappeared, but it quickly worked against my magic, immediately returning.

Why wasn't this working? I glanced at her face, the blisters and rawness by the corners of her eyes, made the feelings of guilt worse. How could I have let this happen. I was a terrible sister!

Taking a step forward, a hundred thoughts ran through my mind. It just might work. While grabbing the pocketknife out of my boot, I took a deep breath. Rose said that this could be dangerous, but if I did nothing she would suffer more.

When I cut the palm of my hand, I focused on Rose. I had never done a spell this complicated, and anything could go wrong. I pushed all the bad thoughts to the back of my mind, trying to focus as much as I could on this spell.

Grabbing her wrist, I cut her right palm before putting our hands together. As our blood mixed, I could feel our power combine momentarily. It was the same feeling I got when she helped me stop the storm that day.

I kept my mind clear and calm. With my eyes closed, my hands gripping hers, I felt most of my magic leave my body and go into hers to fight against this black substance. I was placing a blood barrier around her, just like she did for me.

When I opened my eyes the black substance was gone. It worked! For once, my terrible, irresponsible, and crazily stupid idea worked! I smiled in victory.