Chapter Twenty-two: Backstabbed

"Stefan!" Elena quickly pulled the covers over her chest. "This is not what it looks like!" Matt just sat in the bed, a smug expression on his face as Stefan looked at both of them with disbelief.

"Is that so?" I took a step forward, hiding the growing smirk on my face. "Because it looks like you too were-"

"Sleeping together." Matt stated, pride in his tone, only to get decapitated. I was stunned into silence, blood splattering onto the bottom of my shirt amongst other places in the room, including the entire left side of Elena.

Her scream pierced my ears as she looked at a headless Matt only a few inches away from her. "Well... that wasn't exactly what I was going for." I chuckled, still slightly shocked that he would do such a thing.

Elena fell off of the bed, pulling the sheet with her. She used it to wipe the blood off, or at least tried. It was everywhere. "I trusted you no matter what happened! I even went against Damon to help you! My own brother!" He sped around to the other side of the bed, holding her in the air by her throat.

Tears streamed down her face, as she scratched at his forearms trying to pry his hands off of her throat. "Stefan, please." She begged, in between gasps for air. With a sigh, I held up my hand, pushing Stefan a few feet behind me.

Elena fell to the floor, holding her neck. Stefan was on his feet turning his rage onto me. "Isn't this what you wanted!?" He pointed down at Elena having a coughing fit on the floor. "No. I need her to tell me who she's working with." I told him, rolling my eyes.

"I could have told you that!" He argued, still confused as to why I wouldn't let him kill Elena. "You were obviously left in the dark about specific details, ones that I need." He could kill her later, even though I can't believe those words were just thought in my head. I mean, I've been hoping for her death since day one.

However, in this moment I needed to know what she knew. Not what Stefan was told. Whoever Elena was working with wouldn't have let him know the whole plan, because he is Damon's brother. He didn't take my comment well as he opened his mouth to prove me wrong.

"That black liquid that I threw on you at the ritual was given to me by the real Caroline. It was a mixture between some herbs, her blood and whatever spell that Elena's witch used." My head snapped in his direction. 

The Real Caroline...

It had always been in the back of my mind. What happened to 'The Vampire Diaries' Caroline when I took her body? I had just coughed it up to her dying; that she was just gone. I mean, where could she have gone in the first place? She wasn't supernatural to begin with, so she wouldn't have gone to the other side.

"What do you mean 'the real Caroline'?" I questioned out loud this time, glancing from him to Elena. While his face was still visibly angry, the slight pride that was there as well was obvious.

Elena had now changed her entire attitude. She stood up, wrapping the sheet around her body before glaring daggers at Stefan. "Who's your witch?" I walked over to Elena, compelling her. When she looked at me like I was stupid, I knew that she must have vervain in her system. Smart girl.

Grabbing hold of her head, I looked for the information myself. 

Whoever this witch was, she was definitely smarter than I had originally thought. She never showed Elena who she was, only spoke on the phone.

When I released my grip of her head she stumbled backwards once again, her hands holding where mine were on the sides of her head. Her face scrunched up in pain as she fell to her knees, the effect of me digging through her memories still present.