Chapter 27.

SEBASTIAN

Three days have gone. Three days and I don't anything about Mery. Nor Esther. No, first about Esther. Okay, Mery first, but... Damn, their faces are mixing up, and I can't see straight. What is wrong with me?

Anyway, I have no idea what is going on with me, except that I called Nanny, and she told me that Esther was adjusting. I couldn't believe my ears, and I asked her to tell me if something had happened if she did something, but Nanny assured me that everything was okay, and she even named a puppy. I couldn't believe it, I still can't, and I'm planning on visiting her today.

Although, I'm scared of her because of one thing. She will demand a secret from me, I know that. And I still haven't thought of any secret I could... I should tell her.

There are so many, yet, at the same time, there aren't many to pick. The only one that occurred to my mind is that I'm a bastard, that I don't know who my parents are.

But, I can't tell her that. I just can't. I know she will look at me differently. She will pity me probably. But she will also understand why I want to help her. Finally, she will.

Because you're alone.

She is alone, too, that is why she wants me to be her therapist. That's why she was mad that I lied to her about having someone. She has no one, and finally, after years of having encounters with therapists, she has found one who is similar to her. Because similarities are better. Whoever said that opposites attacks lied.

How can she open up to an older man who is happily married, with kids, and who probably doesn't even care for her appearance only for the money which he gets? She can. And she probably did, until she understood that there aren't that many therapists who care for her stability. They care if she takes her medicines regularly. They don't care what she feels inside.

But I do. I care so much. I care why she hates everyone. I want to know why she has rage in herself, floating in her veins, and I want to make sure she never gets to feel it again. I want her to be healthy, and to know how to maintain a balance between nervousness, anger, and rage. To know how to control herself.

It's normal to be angry, but it's not healthy letting that anger control you and jeopardize people in your environment.

Anyway, I try to stop thinking, as I start climbing the stairs to the animal shelter, happy that I'll see Esther. I really hope he adjusted as Nanny said. And I hope that she didn't lie to me, or sugarcoat things. And soon I'm convinced of that.

As soon as I enter the shelter, and pass the cages of all kinds of cute animals, some of them taking a nap, some of them laying lazily, I hear Esther squeak.

"Benson! Benson, no! Stop it! You stupid little creature, stop fighting your sister!"

I take a step back, so she can't see me, and hide behind a wall, watching her pull the puppy from his sister, as she called her, and the animal roars in a squeaky voice, that makes me laugh.

"No, stop it already! I told you to stop!" She finally manages to pull him from the other puppy, and just when she does that, the little animal jumps from her hands and runs away.

"Benson, you idiot! You will hurt yourself!"

As soon as the words leave her mouth, I gasp. I can't believe she actually cares that he will hurt himself. Three days ago she told me that she hates animals and that she is scared they would bite her, but now she wants to save a puppy from hurting himself.

I catch him, and pull him to my chest, before coming out from my hideout. "He won't. I got him." I smile, and I see the relief on her face.

"Thank God", she sighs, wiping her forehead with her hand. "I mean..." She quickly frowns, and I do, too. "I don't care if something happens to him. He is really a pain in the ass." She shakes her head, and turns on her heel, marching from me.