Chapter 38.

ESTHER

"Okay, so you just say exactly what happened, and if you have to take a pause, you just ask for it, don't hesitate. I'll be outside if you need me. But try to say everything that happened, please don't forget something. It's very important", Sebastian pleads me, and I nod, fighting the urge to roll my eyes. But he's been so good to be these past few days like no one in my life has ever been, and I have to thank him somehow. Possible without saying these exact words.

"Understood."

"Great." He pats my shoulder, and this time I don't move nor feel insecure or uncomfortable.

I take a deep breath, and push the door to open, as I take a step in the office where one policeman is waiting for me. Thankfully it's a woman.

"Hi, Esther, take a seat." She smiles politely at me. I only nod, lost for words, and feeling a dumpling in my throat that hurts so much. "Okay, I'll try to do this fast, but I need you to remember as many things as you can, okay?"

"Kay."

Let's cut this part, at least here, shall we?

The moment I get out, my nails digging in my palms, I see Sebastian getting up, and approaching me.

"Are you okay?", he asks, worried.

I force a smile just to reassure him. "Okay."

He squeezes my shoulder, and for a weird reason, I wish he had hugged me. I think I'd let him. Or maybe there's is no more weirdness because I think that for the first time in my life, I'm letting someone  discover what lays beneath me. No matter how bad it is.

When we get out of the police station, I feel sudden relief, as if a rock had been taken from my back.

"So, what happens now?", I dare to ask. I, for some reason, didn't want to ask the police officer this but Sebastian.

"You don't worry about that, okay? He won't hurt you anymore." He hugs me shortly, and I wish it had lasted longer.

"Nor any other girl", I sigh.

"Changing the topic, I thought we could go take something."

"Something?" I frow, something I haven't done in the past few days while I was with him.

"Yeah, something like um", he clears his throat, and checks the street before crossing it, "ice cream or I dunno."

"I haven't had ice cream in years", I admit sadly.

"Ice cream it is then."

"But shouldn't we go to each other's home? I think we've been spending a lot of time together."

"What's wrong with that? I'm your therapist, and I'm trying to give you supprot in these hard times."

I hate when he emphasizes that he's my therapist. I think he overdoes it sometimes. Honestly, I'm so over it.

"Well, I'm grateful, but I'm scared you'd bore me, Sebastian", I joke, trying to get rid of me.

"Uf", he laughs, "I doubt I can do that. But, I understand you want to spend some time alone, I just don't want you to feel scared."

"I'm not", I defend. "He's in prison now there's no way he can hurt me, right?", I ask myself this more than him.

"Yes, but I just want to make sure you're safe, you know?"

"Aha. So you have something on your mind, don't you?"

"Maybe." He smiles, a dimple appears on the right side of his cheek, and I look away. "Let's discuss it eating ice cream, shall we?"