☆ INTENTIONS ☆

Y/N HAD NO INTENTIONS OF ADJUSTING TO IN WILMINGTON.

Y/n and her family had been moving constantly ever since she was little due to her mothers sickness. Since the 5th grade she never wanted to have close friends because she learned that she wouldn't see them again after a year or less. So, when she came to Wilmington for her first year of high school, she didn't try to meet new people.

To keep up with the medical bills, Y/n's family owned a convenience store as a side job. Y/n was the one who worked there during the day. She enjoyed talking to Billy, he also had a job so they had similar experiences with being young and having a job. Y/n also liked talking to Donna, she was one of the sweetest girls Y/n had met. And, she found her swooning over Finney Blake to be entertaining.

Speaking of Finney Blake, he and his sister Gwen often came to the GrabNGo often. They either got snacks or went to pick up their dad a six pack. They had always gotten along well, sometimes it made
Y/n want a sibling. Though, her friends has told her different, on how having a sibling was a pain in the ass. So, maybe she was lucky, who knows. Y/n often felt lonely being a only child.

That's why she guiltily enjoyed working at the GrabNGo so much. A lot of people stopped by, some kind enough to make small talk, asking how Y/n's day was , complementing her. It made her feel like she belong in North Denver. But, she had to keep the mind set of not staying, but she for sure liked this place best. Despite this one boy, Vance Hopper.

He wasn't exactly what you would call loud, but he wasn't quiet either. He would try to fuck up any one
that messed with him. Though, Y/n never had saw him do it in the store, many people spoke about it. He was only quiet if he was concentrating on his pin ball game. The most talking he had ever done to Y/n is ask for some change.

She had heard a lot about the boy, but she never understood why. His name was mentioned at least once every day to her. Not like she cared though, what would she ever mean to Vance Hopper? Or, what would Vance Hopper ever mean to her?

                                   ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯

Y/n didn't work night shifts at the GrabNGo. No one did after the grabbers kidnappings. Closing time was 8:30, it was now 8:20. "Pinball Vance" had been there for hours, just playing pin ball. He was the last one there, not like he noticed. He would mutter small things to himself while playing, so he was pretty focused. Y/n tried breaking the silence so she could tell him she had to close soon. But she didn't know how to come about it.

She faked coughed but that didn't catch his attention. She tried speaking but her voice came out quiet. Her palms started to sweat, why was she so nervous? She looked around the room to help her find something to catch his attention, Nothing.

She thought more to herself, Fuck it, she thought. She packed up her things and walked up to Vance.

"Vance."
"What?" He doesn't look away from the game.
"It's closing time."
"What?" Vance looks around in confusion and realizes it's sun down.
"All your friends left already. How long are you on that thing?"
Vance shoots a look at Y/n, "As long as I fucking want to be." He walks out the store.

"Well, so much for speaking up.", Y/n thought. She brushed it off, Vance was always quick tempered. She didn't really over analyze it. She turned off the lights as she walked out. Y/n locked the door and left.

                                  ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯
The next morning, Y/n didn't have work. Today was break day, her favorite day. Y/n started getting ready, she had plans. Y/n finished spraying on her perfume and walked out her house.

She walked towards Billy Showalters house. She was excited for today, she was going to hang out with Billy. He was really nice, especially to Y/n. They were going to the local park to just hang out, and Billy was going to bring his dog that she was dying to meet.

He said he would be home done with his work by the time she got to his house. The plan was for her too go to his house and then they would walk to the park.

She walked in silence, for a few minutes. Until, all the phones in the neighborhood started ringing. It froze Y/n for a second, all the phones in everyone's houses rang in unison. It taunted her, the rings were loud and taunting. She bring her shoulders up as she crossed her arms into each other.

She didn't know why, but the rings gave her a unsettling feeling. One that was gut wrenching. She stood there until the rings stopped. "Okay, maybe someone set something off on accident or something.", Y/n thought to herself.

She kept walking to Billy's house, on high alert. She finally got there. She knocked on the door, Billy's mom answered. Not what Y/n was expecting, but she was sure he was just in his room.

"Hi, Ms.Showalter. Is Billy home? We were supposed to hang out at the park today."
"Hi, Sweetie. Yes, I did here from him that he was going to hang out with you. But uhm, Billy isn't home yet. I thought he was just a bit slow on work today. Maybe doing some extra streets for extra cash. I haven't heard from him since he left."

Ms.Showalter was concerned for Billy. He never took this long. She had tried not to worry about it though, she didn't think someone would take him when he's been a paper boy for months.

Y/n's stomach sank. She heard a rumor at school that the phones ring whenever a child is taken. But Y/n couldn't assume that. She shouldn't believe in the worse, Billy was a smart kid. She just had to hope he was just running late.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure he's just running late."
As soon as Y/n finished her sentence, the phone rang. But only Ms.Showalter's phone rang. Y/n could hear it coming from the living room. Ms. Showalter looked back and then back at Y/n.

"Excuse me sweetie. I have to pick that up."
"No, That's fine." Y/n forcefully smiled and held the door open.
"Actually, just come in. I'm sure Billy will be here any second." Ms. Showalter said as she walked into the living room.
"Oh, Okay. Thank you." Y/n said as she walked inside. She sat on the couch and looked at Ms.Showalter as she picked up the phone.

"Hello, this is Ms. Showalter. ——- Yes." Ms. Showalter's eyes then widen in terror as she heard what the person over the phone said next.
"Wh...What?" She choked out. Her eyes became teary eyed and her face pale. Y/n's thoughts grew with concern. What if she was right about Billy?

"No, —- Please. You- But he was just- —— No!" Ms.Showalter dropped the phone and fell onto her knees. She choked out sobs. Y/n quickly ran over to Ms. Showalter and crouched down to comfort her. Y/n placed her hand on Ms.Showalter's shoulder and held the phone in the other.

"Ms. Showalter, what's wrong?"
She looked at Y/n terrified. She could barely believe what she had heard.
"He-...He's been- tak..."
"Taken?" Y/n tries to piece together what Ms.Showalter is saying. Y/n hopes she guessed wrong, but that wasn't the case. Ms. Showalter nodded as her lips trembled.