Chapter 4.5-6: Operation Delta

Ayanokōji's POV

During the hours of the day's fall, when the sun painted my dorm with a golden hue, a barrage of thunderous bangs assaulted my hapless door.

It had been an exhausting day; from the battle with Sora, Shiro and Lelouch to the soccer match with Nagumo, both my mind and body were completely exhausted.

Feeling a bit like a deflated balloon, I peeled my body away from the warm embrace of my bed, and dragged it to the door.

I opened the lock, and pulled the door slightly ajar. "I'm he-"

I was cut off, as the door swung at me with enough power to kill a man. My life flashed before my eyes, and I narrowly dodged what would have been the most pathetic death of the century.

"Move."

My visitor barged past me, slamming the door shut behind and leaving me to lock it again.

"Make yourself at home," I remarked sarcastically.

"Shut the fuck up," Kushida lashed out at me.

I raised an eyebrow at the abuse.

"Were you not afraid of being seen here? You were making quite the disturbance in the middle of the boys' dorms. What would you have done if somebody came out and saw you beating up my door?"

"I really couldn't care less right now, Ayanokōji."

Kushida dropped onto my bed as if she weighed triple what she actually did, and buried her head in her hands, letting out deep sigh of pure frustration.

Even somebody like me could easily tell that something was wrong.

"Would you like some tea?" I asked her.

"What?! I mean... yeah... sure. Black is fine."

"Most people drink green tea."

"I'm not most people!" She snapped.

Understanding that now was not the time to make such remarks, I retreated into the kitchen and brewed Kushida a tea.

When I emerged, she was sitting with her head back and her eyes closed.

"Here," I said, offering her the mug.

"Put it on the table. I can't really drink it right now," she told me, holding up a trembling hand.

I could only assume that it was trembling from anger, not fear.

I sat down on the other side of my bed, facing this distraught girl.

"I assume you've come here to vent something to me?"

"No."

Apparently, Kushida had come here for a different reason than usual. Well, I guess it isn't too surprising. Her method of entry was also very different to usual.

Normally, Kushida was very careful coming to my room. Not only was our relationship supposed to be a secret, but it would also cause problematic rumours to arise for Kushida were she to be spotted coming to a boy's room at night.

"I want you to handle something for me. As per our agreement."

Indeed, I had promised Kushida that I'd protect her, and take care of any grievances that may disturb her life, in exchange for her working for me.

It seemed like now was the time for her to start cashing in on that arrangement.

"What is it?" I asked.

Kushida let out another sigh, but this time as if to try to calm herself.

"It's... kinda a long story."