Chapter 9: Mayday

Hoseok's POV

I quickly pulled up in front of the small hospital. I hastily turned off the engine and fumbled with my keys. I hopped off the car hurriedly. What happened? I'm extremely worried. I got a call from Becky, the hospital nurse, ten minutes before. She said Jungkook was brought in. I went to the reception and asked where to see him.

I found him lying on the bed still unconscious. I looked around to see if there's someone I can talk to about his condition. Luckily, Becky came in.

"What happened to him?"

"Don't worry too much. He just fainted because of shock."

"Shock?"

"The guy who brought him in said that he just lost consciousness when he saw him...plucking the feathers of a chicken. Maybe because of the sight of blood? Does he have an aversion to that?"

"He doesn't. Wait, who brought him in?"

"I actually haven't seen him ever. It's my first time meeting him."

Who is that guy?

"Where is he?"

"You didn't see him? He was just here when I left to make rounds."

"There's nobody here."

"Maybe he already left. Maybe he just brought him in. He knew very little about Jungkook. Just his name. So the paper works. You still have to complete it at the admissions."

I nodded.

"We don't really have to worry? He's fine?"

"He is. Just a drop in his heart rate and blood pressure. But he's since stabilized."

I let out a sigh of relief. Should I call Jin hyung? But he'll get worried. And he'll be mad. I don't want to disappoint him. But then he'll be even madder if he learned about this from somebody else. I will tell him later. I have to know what happened first.

I stared at Jungkook's face. It was far from being serene. His forehead was creased. Is he having a nightmare? He's stirring. I went closer to hold his hand. His eyes slowly opened. He looked at me and sniffed.

"Hoseok hyung."

His eyes filled and tears spilled out.

"Why?" I asked.

"Chicken." He cried. "Chicken is dead."

Chicken? Chicken was the one getting plucked? No wonder he fainted. Our poor Kookie. He loved Chicken. He bawled on my chest. I hugged him tight and rubbed his back to console him.

"He killed Chicken." He wailed.

"Who killed Chicken?"

His cries grew louder.

Jungkook was discharged immediately. Luckily, there were no physical health concerns seen. However, the event obviously caused him emotional distress. He wept nonstop. I brought him home so he would not be alone. I also asked Namjoon to stay the night with us. I haven't called Jin hyung. I still don't know what to tell him. Jungkook doesn't want to disclose what happened. It's as if he wants to hide something. I need to know who killed Chicken. Who is he and why does it seem like Jungkook is hiding his identity?

I went to his trailer to investigate. I really don't want to. The way here is so dark and full of insects and frogs. And snakes. I hate snakes! But I have to. I must get to the bottom of things. Jungkookie is my responsibility. Jin hyung entrusted him to me. I can't protect him if I don't know what's happening.