Chapter 21: Elpis

Hoseok's POV

I'm still reeling at the excruciating pain caused by the bullets lodged on my back. I took a deep breath and willed my body to move. Even breathing hurts. But I must pull through. I have to protect Jungkook. Jin hyung is right. They are after him.

I slowly lifted my head off the ground to look. The man was walking towards Namjoon. My eyes are still unfocused. Shooting is risky. I might accidentally fire at him. I remembered the dagger I hid in my shoe. I quietly bended my leg and reached for it. Then I lurched to impale his leg. The man let out a yelp.

"Namjoon, take Jungkook!"

I leapt at the man's back and repeatedly hit his head with the butt of the gun. He flailed and tried to get me off. He flipped over on his head causing us to both land on our backs. I groaned at the pain of the impact on my back and the force of the weight of his body. He positioned beside me and squeezed my neck with his arm. I clawed on his skin as I felt my throat closing in. I groped beside me to search for the gun. I can't feel it. But I found a flashlight. I used it to whack him as hardly as I can. His arm loosened. I backed away, catching my breath. I slanted my head. Retirement really made me rusty. I haven't fought in a very long while.

The man bent to prepare to pounce. We circled around the room. I subtly wandered my eyes to search for the gun. I raised the flashlight in my hands. The beam touched on the man's face and he squinted. I flipped the flashlight in the air and caught it. Then I flashed the light at his eyes. He lifted his hand to cover his face. Bingo. I caught sight of the gun on the floor. Finally. We started circling once again. Once near the weapon, I shone the light at his eyes and dove to retrieve the gun. I can't waste any more time. There might be more of them. So I aimed and shoot without hesitation. I put a bullet through his chest. He fell instantaneously.

I walked towards him and nudged him with my feet. He didn't stir. I fired another shot at his head. Jin hyung has always reminded me to make sure that they stay dead.

"Hoseok?"

I turned to where the voice was coming from. Namjoon was there and Jungkook was behind him.

"You...killed him?"

"I have to."

"Who...who is he? W-what does he want?"

I picked the man's gun and checked its magazine. "We don't have time. We have to go."

"Hoseok hyung, are you okay?" Jungkook asked.

"How are you okay? He shot you."

Namjoon placed a hand on my back. I winced.

"I'm fine. It didn't get through."

"Are you wearing a bulletproof vest? Who are you? Are you a secret agent?"

I let out a short laugh. Oh. How I wish I were instead.

I am not Jung Hoseok. It is just my cover. I am Bang Hobi. Son of the Hitman Bang Sihyuk. The late boss of Bang Mafia. In the organization, I was called Elpis. I grew up with my mother in a province just like this. It was just the two of us until I met my father when I was ten. I thought he was already dead. That's what mom has always said. But there's a reason why she lied. It is so that we can live our life in peace.

I was pulled back into my father's brutal world when my mother was murdered by Park Byung-eun, the patriarch of the Park Mafia. I was taught to kill and fight. I trained alongside Jin hyung. We were the youngest in our group so we naturally grew close. It was never revealed that I am the boss' son so that the enemies can't use me against him. I was meant to be introduced on the day I succeed my father.