Chapter 9

In the fur salon, Cornelia was trying on fur coats and staring at herself in the mirror.

"Oh, I know diamonds are supposed to be a girl's best friend, but I could get real chummy with some mink or ermine. I'll take three or four of these and a couple of gorillas" she said.

"I think you mean chinchillas, Cornelia. One of the rarest and most costly of furs" said the Joker.

"Oh, well, then that's exactly what I mean. But aren't you afraid we'll get caught in a place like this, this time of night?" said Cornelia.

"Ah, with my duplicate key to the manager's office, we were able to come through his private entrance which has no burglar alarm. Latch and Bolt are in the front hall on guard with two recruits" said the Joker.

What he didn't know was that Batman, Robin and the Warriors had just arrived at the salon. 

"What about the clue you broadcast to Batman?" said Cornelia.

"Ah, precisely why I brought my little magic box. I'm looking forward to giving Batman and Robin, along with those confounded Warriors, another taste of its unique power" the Joker cackled.

"This time, the joke's gonna be on the Joker" Robin giggled from behind a mannequin. 

"So let's get the jump on him" said Batman.

The crimefighting gang jumped in on the Joker.

"Oh! Good evening, friends!" said the Joker opening his box.

But this time, nothing happened.

"Something's wrong. The key must be broken!" said the Joker.

"It's not the key to that box that's broken, Joker. It's your hypnotic power over us" said Batman.

"Why, it worked before" said the Joker.

"This time, we took our counter-hypnosis Bat-pellets" said Robin.

"From the Bat-capsule dispensary" said Sam.

"Latch, Bolt, everybody! Get them!" said the Joker.

The Joker, Latch and Bolt started wrestling with the crimefighters. 

Zap!!!! Kapow! Splatt!

During the fight, the Joker dropped his box and smashed it to bits.

He tried to get away, but Sam and Robin caught him and threw him back into the fight.

Batman uppercutted Latch and Bolt's jaws. Pow!!

The Warriors did some serious brawling with the recruits. Z-zwap!

That was the last of the Batfight, but when no one was looking, the Joker did manage to get away.

Batman found the broken box in the corner of the room.

"Nothing but some wires and a little battery" said Robin.

"Exactly, Robin. We didn't give him time to induce hypnosis. But as I've said, that monstrous mountebank is full of mad maneuvers" said Batman.