Chapter 10

Early the next morning, Batman, Robin, Sam and Calvin were in the Batcave doing some extra investigating.

Charles Wallace was still in bed because he was too young to stay up all night.

Alfred came into the Batcave to check on the remainders.

"Would you like me to bring down some breakfast, sir? The human body can only go so long without proper food, drink and sleep" he said.

"Well, Charles Wallace has the right idea with the sleeping part" said Calvin. 

"Indeed he does, Master Calvin. But you, Mistress Sam and Master Robin are not exceptions either. You are still young" said Alfred.

"It's only been one night, Alfred" said Batman.

"And we have to trap the Joker once and for all" said Robin.

"If I might suggest a thought, sir?" said Alfred.

"Please do" said Batman.

"It struck me that recently most of his messages have involved twists on words. Word plays on keys particularly" said Alfred.

"We've noticed that ourselves, Alfred" said Sam.

"Very good, Mistress Sam. Now, in his private life..." Alfred began.

"Precisely the course we've been pursuing, Alfred. Robin, what have you come up with?" said Batman.

Robin read from a piece of paper he got from the Bat-computer.

"Keyboard... key bugle... key fruit... keynote address, key signature, Keystone state" he read.

"Ah, by private life I meant a change of identity" said Alfred.

"A change of identity?" said Calvin.

"Yes, Master Calvin. Possibly an assumed name" said Alfred.

"Holy pseudonym" said Robin. 

"You said it, Robin baby" said Sam.

"Of course, Alfred! Why didn't we think of that? Would you mind handing me the telephone directory?" said Batman.

"Here we are, sir" said Alfred doing as he was told. 

"Thank you" said Batman.

"What are you gonna do, Batman?" said Sam.

"I programmed a Bat-computer feedback circuit to isolate key name metaphors in the greater Gotham City telephone directory" said Batman.

He put the phone book in the Bat-computer and a piece of paper came out with a list of key names.

"It's gotta be one of these" said Robin.

"What's on there?" said Calvin.

"Mrs Carrie Bekeypin" said Robin. 

"Oy! I don't think the Joker would disguise himself as a woman. He's nutty enough already" said Sam.

"The Locker Room?" said Robin.

"An English grill I occasionally frequent. Superb sweet pudding" said Alfred.

"That sounds good. We should visit that place next time we go to dinner" said Calvin.

"Louie Latch?" said Robin.

"I don't think so" said Sam.

"How about this one? Clavier Ankh" said Robin.

"Clavier Ankh? What kind of name is Clavier Ankh?" said Sam.

"Crooked, if you ask me" said Calvin.

"And very revealing, Calvin. The clavier is the keyboard of an organ and ankh is a sacred Egyptian cross symbolizing the key of life" said Batman.

"Gosh, Batman" said Robin.

"So is the Joker trying to live in an organ?" said Sam making Robin laugh.

"I'm pretty sure it's the key part that does it, sweetheart" said Robin.

"Just look at the address. No 1, Doughan Alley" said Batman.

"That's worthy of a note, I'd say. Let's get Charles Wallace and go after that Joker" said Calvin.