Chapter 15

In the Joker's hideout...

"Still alive? How can they be?" said the Joker.

"Well, Batman is, that's for sure" said Bolt.

"So are the Three Warriors" said Latch.

"Oh, well, I might as well be philosophical about it. Regardless of how clever those Warriors are, theirs and the Dynamic Duo's hours are measured. In fact, I'm measuring them right now with this time machine" said the Joker.

Cornelia, who was still looking at herself in the mirror, shocked herself and touched her right cheek.

"I found a wrinkle" she said.

"Oh, you're worried about wrinkles, Cornelia, when I have just rebuilt and refined my magic box so that when I turn this key, I can turn time either backward or forward. Or stop it completely" the Joker cackled.

"Will your gadget work twice, boss?" said Latch.

"Any place and on anything or anybody. For instance, somewhere in Gotham City right now, the sidewalks are crowded and the traffic is busy. Now see what happens when I turn this key and time moves a bit faster" answered the Joker.

He turned the key and the traffic in Gotham City moved faster. 

Then he set an example of turning back time on Wayne Manor.

Aunt Harriet was about to take her friends inside Bruce's study, but the Joker used the time machine to turn back time and unknowingly stop her. 

"Don't stop now, boss" said Latch.

"Yeah, try it on Batman and Robin" said Bolt.

"That's what I plan to do. But I want to meet them face to face. I want to see the results myself" the Joker laughed. 

"Did you make this one out of cheeseparings and lighting bugs too, Joker?" said Cornelia.

"Oh, no, Cornelia. My newest triumph is composed of much more complicated parts. Human frailties, the power of mass suggestion, catalytic agents, unexplained phenomena" said the Joker.

"Gee. All that in one box, boss?' said Latch.

"Plus two added components, Latch. A pellet and a pond" said the Joker.

"Of what and which?" said Cornelia.

"Ingredients which must remain secret for the nonce, Cornelia. But they did their work today" said the Joker.

"What's next, boss?" said Bolt. 

"Next, Bolt? To stop time throughout Gotham City. Unless the city fathers meet my demands" said the Joker.

"You're so forceful when you demand things from fathers, Joker. What is it this time?" said Cornelia lovingly.

"A mere ten million dollars, Cornelia. But first, a moment to catch my breath. While another message I've sent is being delivered, just about the time I imagine the the Three Warriors and the Dynamic Duo are getting an emergency call" said the Joker.