Chapter 17

"Alfred, how are you gonna get to the waterworks without the Batmobile?" said Sam.

"I brought my wheels with me. And with no intention of infringing. I call it my Alf-cycle" said Alfred showing the guys his bicycle.

"Wow, look at that. That's a fine looking bike" said Charles Wallace.

"Yes, Master Charles. I have my two way Alf-radio between the handle bars and I took the liberty of making the necessary adjustments on the Batmobile unit" Alfred explained.

"Good thinking, Alfred" said Batman.

"Well, arrivederci" said Alfred as he cycled out of the Batcave.

"Arrivederci, Alfred" said Sam.

"And good luck" said Calvin.

Alfred cycled to the waterworks and told his cousin everything.

But his cousin still sent him out for the sake of security.

"Me, Egbert?" said Alfred.

"Yeah, you. I should have made you stay out in the visitors vestibule. We got a rule around here. Nobody allowed in this room excepting authorized personnel. That means me" said Egbert.

"Who knows, but that some misguided soul might try to slip in and pollute the city's water supply" said Alfred.

"Yeah. The other night, I caught some Joker. Near the storage reservoir. I threw him out" said Egbert.

"A wise move indeed, but I'm not here to upset security, Eggy. I'm here to relieve you. Millionaire Bruce Wayne, for whom as you know I buttle, and a very influential gentleman with city government, fears you may be overworked" said Alfred. 

"He ain't just talking" said Egbert.

"He suggest that I replace you on your shift tonight, and give you a little bit of a breather" said Alfred.

"I sure could use it. And I know just a bit. Bubble La Bleu and the Follies. That chick swings like a king's playground" said Egbert.

"We're just about the same size, Eggy. I'm sure your uniform would fit me" said Alfred.

"Yeah. Take off them specs and we do look a little alike. Next guy comes on duty at 4 AM. Can't see too good. Play it straight and he'll think you's me" said Egbert.

"Don't worry, Eggy. Any particular instructions?" said Alfred.

"Nah. All a watchman has to do on this job is watch. Now that ain't too hard" said Egbert taking off his uniform.

"If you should happen to run into Tassles Laverne at the Follies, say hello to her from me" said Alfred.

The two men switched outfits and jobs.